Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

May 7, 2007, 09:26 PM
    Changing child's last name
    I would like to know if I can legally change my child's last name without the father's consent. I live in PA and have primary physical custody and full legal custody.
    Queenbeewisdom75 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 11:14 PM
    Yes you can if you're the primary and custodial parent you are the main decision maker of the upbringing of the child. My mom did that with me and my father had no say since he's got non custodial status.
    hnbwilson1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2013, 08:59 PM
    This is very helpful to my question as well. But when I went to our court to get the paper to have this done they told me the biological father would have to give concent but also, I'm the full legal custodial parent and he is in prison? What could I do?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hnbwilson1 View Post
    This is very helpful to my question as well. But when I went to our court to get the paper to have this done they told me the biological father would have to give concent but also, I'm the full legal custodial parent and he is in prison? What could I do?
    Unfortunately, in my opinion that old answer to an old question was incorrect and entirely based, apparently, on (probably misunderstood) anechdotal experience.

It will depend on the specific Pennsylvania laws, but you will probably at least have to give him notice of the petition to change the child's name. If he objects, the court will decide whether the name change can be ordered over his objection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child's show-with couch [ 6 Answers ]

I used to watch this show, on the old Disney channel, most likely... There were puppets, and they lived under a couch, but there was A real actress in it and they lived in her house. I remember one Episode where the real actress explained to the girl about thunderstorms. If anyone...

Changing my child's name [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know how I can go about changing my son's name. He's 4 months old. And I made the HUGE mistake of naming him after his "father". His "father" isn't around and never comes to see him. I don't want my son to be named after such a irresponsible loser. What are the steps I need to make?

Retirement - in a child's eyes [ 3 Answers ]

After Christmas a teacher asked her young pupils how they spent their holiday away from school. One child wrote the following: We always used to spend the holidays with Grandma and Grandpa. They used to live in a big brick house, but Grandpa got retarded and they moved to Florida. Now they live...

Changing a Child's surname [ 5 Answers ]

I am a single mother and have been since my son was 6 weeks old. I was unmarried to his father and things went from good to bad over night. To make a long story short, his father has supervised visitation due to some abuse that had happened. Thank god I was smart and got the baby medical...

Can my boyfriend be my child's father [ 1 Answers ]

I receive temporary assistance and food stamps from the state. When I went to visit my social worker she made me fill out a paper issuing for the collection of child support for the alleged father of my child. I filled it out to the best of my ability. Honestly, I may know exactly who my child's...

View more questions Search