Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heartbroken Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2005, 03:07 PM
    Help! Going crazy!
    undefined
    Hi. I need someone to talk to because I feel like I'm going crazy! My boyfriend broke up with me 2 days ago and all I want to do is just curl up in a ball and sleep. My eyes are so sore and red from crying that I can't even touch them to wipe my tears away anymore. Anyway, we were dating for about 4 months, which probably doesn't sound like much, but we moved really fast. We saw each other pretty much every day and we had a great relationship. We never fought and we had the best connection. Here's the thing... he's only 21 and I'm 28. He said that he needs time to be on his own and spend time with his friends because he had a long term girlfriend before me and was only single for about 8 months, prior to him turning 21. He still wants to be friends and he has called me that last two days and says he wants to be able to continue to hang out and talk to me. This confuses me, especially because he said that he might be making a mistake and he is confused. He said he doesn't want a serious relationship at all, and if he did, he would still be with me. He says all his friends tell him he is stupid for breaking up with me and he tells me over and over again that I am the greatest girl he has ever met. I'm glad that he was honest with me, but I just don't know what to do. I don't know if I can be just friends with him and I am wondering if maybe he is keeping me close just in case he decides that he did make a mistake. What do you think?
    Thanks - heartbroken
    tcb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2005, 07:48 PM
    HI: you need to move past him and that relationship... at 21 he is still immature... find activities that you like to do... take classes at a community college... do something that you always wanted to do... this guy moved fast because he wanted one thing... I look back regretfully on all the girls I hurt by doing exactly that... I was a scumbag... in the future take time out to get to know one another... that will separate the men from the boys...
    Good luck

Been there and done that..

Apr 12, 2005, 08:01 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I just find it really hard to let go. Yeah, we moved really fast, but I never thought of him as a scumbag, just looking for one thing. He has been very considerate and hasn't done anything to make me question him until this point. If he was just looking for one thing, would he still be calling me and trying to keep a connection there? Wouldn't he have just called it quits altogether if that's all he wanted?

I still find myself confused and extremely attached. What do you think?

Thanks for the advice... I need it!
    BattleAngel14745 Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Apr 13, 2005, 11:50 AM
    Message deleted
    toonking Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2005, 11:57 AM
    Another way of seeing it
    Being 21, I'm sure this fella just wants to go out and have a good time. I'm way past that age, but found that when I had a day of the week set aside for my girlfriend, things flowed much better. My friends knew that every other Saturday night and every Sunday was off limits to them. Her friends knew the same.

If you really want this guy back, then maybe this could be a solution worth trying.
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2005, 12:17 PM
    He is pretty young for you.

Plus - "saw each other pretty much every day and we had a great relationship. " - KISS OF DEATH early in a relationship. You smothered him. He probably appreciated the attention early. You needed to be unavailable sometimes - be aloof and mysterious. Not always answer his calls.

'People want what they can't have' - I think you probably surrender to him.

I know when I was 21 I was only mostly looking for 1 nighters.

Go to this website: www.lovetactics.com - read the articles.

Sounds like you were way too clingy-needy.

RULE #1 in a relationship - ALWAYS take the attitude that you can take or leave that person - especially early. ALWAYS act INDIFFERENT. People want a lover who is emotionally independent - you need your own friends, work, school, hobbies, work out etc.

Early in a relationship (less than 6 months to a year) - it's a good idea not to see them every day or contact every day. It's called the gift of missing you.

ALWAYS remember the emotional independence. They will llvoe yo ufor it.

Your lover is part of your life - never your life. If you remember that - you will never feel as bad.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2005, 12:22 PM
    If you really love him:

Here are some key taxtics:

1. NO contact for a month. None.

2. Try dating some one else - 1 date. Jealousy is a huge draw.

3. Change - you have to change. You have to change the way you deal with men. These aren't games - they are Psycological tactics necessary to make some one want you and pursue you.

4. You need to be a challenge going forward.

5. You need to act like you don't care. When you break up you need to act like it's OK. "What ever you want to do, I am happy with it" - it will change their thinking going forward.

6. You need to go to the gym. Go out with friends.

7. No contact.

8. No clingy-needy anymore - that part of your life is over.

9. In a couple months - call him and see how he is doing - invite him for coffee.

10. Learn about love tactics and the way to run a relationship. Do it as soon as possible - get thispart of your life in order.

Apr 13, 2005, 01:56 PM
    Thanks so much for all your advice. I really need it right now. I can't seem to stop the constant obsessing and running everything over and over in my mind.

I know our relationship moved really fast, but he was the one doing the pushing from the get go, always wanting to see me and calling me everyday. He would have our days planned out. I even started introducing me as his girlfriend before we really had a discussion about it! But, I know now that I should have put some more distance between us.

As far as him and our relationship, he was a really great boyfriend. He was always very considerate and made me feel special. During our 4 month relationship, he CHOSE not to go out with his friends hardly ever, maybe 3 times. I always told him to go, but he said he didn't believe in going out when he had a girlfriend. He is 21, and we did have a good sex life, but sex definitely wasn't the only thing on his mind. I had no concerns or problems during our relationship. When he broke up with me I told him that I want him to be happy and he said that he was happy with me, but he just needs some time to be on his own, as he hasn't had that opportunity yet. He dated his first girlfriend in high school and one year after he graduated and then he was only single for about 8 months before he met me.

I tried not to be too clingy - he even told me that I do a really good job of not calling him too much, like most of his friend's girlfriends. I'm so confused.
    I do love him and I want him back more than anything.

Do you think there is a chance? Or should I just move on?

Thanks for listening!
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2005, 02:20 PM
    Quote: "but he was the one doing the pushing from the get go, always wanting to see me and calling me everyday. He would have our days planned out. I even started introducing me as his girlfriend before we really had a discussion about it!"

That's kind of big red flags as well. (I've been there - when I was younger I had been that guy)

You guys definitely needed space. Seeing someone every day in the beginning is too much. And talking every day is too much. It will lead to crash and burn. You shouldn't even need to talk every day - shouldn't. Given him/her the gift of missing you.

Please check out this site as well: www.relationship.blog-city.com

Apr 13, 2005, 02:29 PM
    Thanks again. The websites you gave me were very helpful and I will continue to look at them to get me through this.

I'm going to follow your advice and not contact him. I realize that I need to give him his space and some time. We definitely spent too much time together and I made the mistake of allowing it to happen... it's hard to push away the attention when it feels so good. Hopefully, by giving him some space, he will come to realize just what he missed!

Thanks a bunch!
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2005, 02:58 PM
    Yes - for now you need to 'pretend' your life is just great with OR without him.

If you feel the urge to call or text message him - have a friend you can call. No e-mails.

Don't sit at home - I suggest joining a gym. 1. It will help with the sadness/stress 2. you will look even better

Fast and Furious is no way to go into a relationship - my relationship before this one last about 4 months and was like that - we had sex the first night we met - she then contacted me 3 days later. We were initially crazy about each other. I was in the position you were in - I vowed NEVER to let it happen again - NEVER.

You have to be caucious in a relationship - NEVER completely surrender - you will smother them. Always keep some doubt to them.

In the future stress independence - and emotional independence - never get too attached - because it could end anytime.

"it's hard to push away the attention when it feels so good." - LESS is always MORE!!

You ALWAYS need to be a challenge - not always available etc.

Make sure to SMILE and laugh every day.

Apr 13, 2005, 03:53 PM
    Thanks again for all your help!

I have been trying to keep busy. I'm in school full time and I started working out again. Plus, I've been talking to my friends and family a lot, which helps.

I'm NOT going to call him. It's hard not to, but I know that if I'm going to have a chance in this, that's what I need to do. I'm going to turn over a new leaf and start to be more mysterious and less available from now on.

He said that he wanted me to call him last night and so I did, which I now know was a big mistake... but his voicemail picked up and he didn't call me back. I can't help but wonder why he didn't call, especially when he asked me to call him and he was so adament about us talking... he said that he really meant it when he told me he wanted us to call each other. I didn't have any reason to not believe him. I just have this horrible feeling that, if he doesn't call me tonight, he is totally over it. Or maybe he just needs his space, right?

Anyway, I'm not going to call him... and when he calls me, I'm going to tell him that I need my space to recover from this too!!

Thanks again.

Apr 13, 2005, 06:23 PM
    As the night goes on, I find myself getting more nervous and sick to my stomach because I'm afraid he won't call again. I'm confused because he told me to call last night and I did, but he never called me back. Now I'm afraid that he won't call me at all and that he isn't thinking about me or missing me at all (its only been 4 days!)

I absolutely refuse to call him again... at this point, he has to call me if he wants to talk. I just don't understand why called me two nights ago and then he told me to call him last night and then didn't call me back. If he didn't want to talk to me, why would he even mention it, and be so adament about it, saying it over and over again that that's what he wanted.

I know that we are broken up, but what if he doesn't call? Does that mean that all is lost? I don't know if I can take it!! :confused:
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2005, 09:05 PM
    No contact for now. Seriously. DO NOT CALL HIM.

He played you. He wanted to make sure you were still there.

Do not answer his calls, do not return his calls - I'd say for 2 months. YOU HAVE TO DO THIS!

And you have to change in the meantime. Fix what you did wrong.

'PEOPLE WANT WHAT THEY CAN'T HAVE'!!

OK?

Some other things - you need to get your head straight. Even if you get back together you need to more emotionally independent - people want emotional independence - you need to learn not to get so envolved. Especiall ythe first year.
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2005, 09:13 PM
    Hun - 4 days is NOTHING in a relationship. Nothing. 2 motnh being broken up is nothing. Separation can sometimes make a relationship 10 times stronger.

You can't call him. Do not. You will look weak - and that what people despise.
    BattleAngel14745 Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Apr 14, 2005, 06:24 AM
    My advice to you is call him as much as you possibly can. Be there for him as much as you possibly can. Be at his beck in call and meet all of his wants and needs. Forget you and your wants and needs. Just sit and stare into space and obcesse about him and what you had and could still have. Just sit and wait by the phone for his call and jump at the any sign of hope. Wait it out it's a waiting game. Just sit and wait and see if he comes around. If he shows you any attention or interest then you jump at his every need. You revolve your life around him not around you.

No seriously...

It's like that supid fu@king annoying saying goes which is actually ironically true.

If you love him, if you really love him and care about him and want him to be happy. Then you let him go and you break all ties. If he comes back to you he's yours to keep forever.

Seriously take my advice or don't take my advice and get hurt over and over again and again. It works and I know for a fact because I've done it. I was in the same situation with my current boy friend of over two years. I'm 27 he's 22.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Apr 14, 2005, 06:46 AM
    Well, here's just a short story to back up Wildcat saying: "Date someone else." and "Do not contact him.".

When one of my ex girlfriends dumped me, at first I was like you, trying to call her, ask for another chance and stuff like that. It only did me worse. Then suddenly I said to myself: "no more...i'm gonna move on." So I just went out, met a couple of girls, let my mind think about something else. And after a few days, there she was calling me on the phone. She was like: "I hear you're going out with some girls...don't you love me any more...maybe we could get together for a coffee."... and, me being so dumb, I agreed and we got together, but everything turned out bad because the next day she forgot all about me again.

If I knew then what I know now - I would never even answer the phone. Make her miss me as much as I did her. Perhaps it would help.

Anyway... just listen to Wildcat - I can now see that if I heard his advices before - I would do so much better in my love life :)
    toonking Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2005, 07:09 AM
    Smart
    There you go. That's the mindset! He WILL realize what he's missed. If, by the odd chance, he decides it's time to come back to you, then you will be in a position of power, and own some leverage in the matter.

"If you hurt me like this again, then our relationship AND friendship will be over, a-hole!"

Didn't know HE was the one pushing the relationship. Sounds like puppy love.
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2005, 08:41 AM
    I just know - I don't want ANYONE to make the same mistakes I made - they are EXTREMELY avoidable!! Extremely AVOIDABLE!!

All this stuff is very easy IF you know the right principles. You WILL Be so much happier if you follow the proper way to love.

I know it's hard.

"at first i was like you, trying to call her, ask for another chance and stuff like that. It only did me worse." - yes that works about 5% of the time - terrible averages.

You can't call for now. You can't return his calls. If you do, you will seem desperate.

These ARE NOT Games. These are principles you MUST live by FOREVER in your relationships IF you want them to continue. YOU ARE NOT born with these principles - YOU MUST learn them.

I don't want anyone to go through the crap I went through - being desperate because the girl of your dreams left you because you paid too much attention to her or what ever...

"People want what they can't have" - if you are too available to them - the will grow to disrespect you. Dispise you.

Everyone needs OTHER things in their life that are equally important - never hold one thing higher than the other - EVER. Your relationships should be as equal as work, school, friends (most important! Believe me!! ), family, workouts, hobbies, etc. - SO if one of these falters, you have the others to fall back on.

NEVER hold your partner higher than yourself!! Never!! You are always the prize or they will leave you.

Rule #2 - LOVE YOURSELF FIRST. When you look in the mirror you better like that person who looks back at you. If NOT - change!!

Change is good - especially after a bad breakup where you are hurt. Get in shape, LEARN from your mistakes, BUILD barriers so you don't get hurt and that allow you to avoid common relationship mistakes.
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2005, 08:48 AM
    Another thing - you need to learn to be more emotionally unavailable - you can't get too involved emotionally early - and early I mean 6 moths to a year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Please help, I'm going crazy! [ 3 Answers ]

I don't remember a lot so there is prob no hope in me finding the answer! It was a cartoon I use to watch when I was a kid... I think it was a movie perhaps.. either way it was an animation. I grew up mid 80s to 90s seeing it so it would be from around that time, maybe a little earlier even. ...

Am I going crazy? [ 4 Answers ]

OK, I'm 25 and just last yr I was diagnosed w/diabetes. My dr. told me of all the right foods I need to eat and what wrong foods I need to stay away from. I honestly have to say that some sugar-free items are good but you really can't compare a sugar-free cookie to an oreo. Well, my boyfriend...

They Think I am crazy! [ 3 Answers ]

Everyone I ask thinks I am nuts. I remember a movie called don't be afraid of the dark, maybe from the 70's-or even earlier. About these little deamons who try to drag people to the death down a fireplace that was once briked up. Is this a movie?:eek:

Do you think I'm crazy? [ 5 Answers ]

Now this is how my story goes I've known this guy for a year now and we've been friends,very close friends ever since but last November we started getting real close I thot it waz 4 good maybe we culd date but it never happened we talk till d early hrs of the mornin and go to d same college still I...

View more questions Search