Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheerchic24 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 06:38 PM
    NEED Flexiblity Tips!
    Okay I'm PROBABLY going to be a fly for my sqaud. The problem is, I'm not extremely flexible. I have my heel strech ALMOST and that's abot it. I have my right scorpian pretty close but\our coach said I need the left one. I Have NO IDEA how to do it! I really need to get it fast HELP!

P.S. If I work really hard and strecch EVERY day, how long do you think I could get it in? Also, if you have good tips 4 splits, I wold apperatate it!!
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

May 7, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Most importantly, as you read through this, do not try to force a stretch too much. You will need to do your stretches daily but do not overdo it. We want to avoid injury not create it. It is OK to feel slight discomfort but not pain.

The scorpion is a tough stunt as it requires a lot of balance and flexibility. This stunt is similar to an aerabesque. One tip is to use a wall to position the chest where you need it and have a friend help to lift the leg to stretch it. Be careful of your back. Keep working this passive form and alternate with active stretching. You may also want to push down on the resistance that is provided to you by your helper for a few seconds and then lift once again.

Splits are not the easiest of things to accomplish, so please understand that it would probably be several months of persistent training before you are able to do them. You will have to work hard and be prepared to do a lot of stretching.
    Here are some ideas for you to try to get you closer to your splits.

1) It is important to get warmed up first. The muscles will stretch better when they are warm vs. when they are cold. Run in place for about two minutes.

2) Do 50 jumping jacks.

Now you can begin to stretch. Understand that you are stretching for flexibility not for warm-up. When stretching for flexibility you need to hold each of your stretches for a minimum of 45 seconds. This allow the body to "get the hint". The body can start making preparations for change to be able to meet the demands that you are placing on it. This is why you must stretch every day and hold that 45 second minimum. Small 10 second stretches won't help you to gain flexibility. They will only help you prepare for workout and maintain current flexibility levels.
    Also make sure that you stretch until you feel the stretch. It should not be painful but should be slightly uncomfortable.

3) Sit on the floor and straddle (legs apart as far as you can, legs straight). Reach your arms up over your head and reach out and try to grab your right foot and try to place your nose on your knee. You are not allowed to bend the knees on this exercise. Hold for 45 and repeat on the other side. Do the same going down the center.

4)Bring the legs together and keep them straight. Put your hands under your thighs and gently pull your nose towards your knees. Go only as far as you can. After 45 sec, slide the hands down under the knees and continue pulling nose to knees. Continue by sliding the hands under the calves and under the ankles and finally, if you can, around the soles of the feet. Remember the 45 second minimum.

5) The half lunge is when you have one leg straight behind you and the other one is in front of you with a bent knee and foot on the ground. The front leg should have the knee directly above the ankle. Sort of like you just took the biggest step you could have. I wish I could show you this one because it is hard to describe. Repeat with the other leg in the front.

6) Work the actual split. We will hold this for 1 minute total. Start with straight legs and slide down as far as you can. When you begin to feel the stretch, hold it there. It is important to practice it with straight legs or you won't be doing yourself much help. After 15 seconds try squeezing your legs together like a scissors for 5 seconds then relax and let yourself slide a little lower. Repeat 2 more times for a total of one minute. Then repeat with the legs switched.

7) For center split, start by putting your hands on the ground in front of you with your legs far apart. Pull your toes up so that you are on your heels and slide down as far as you can. Check to see that your knees are facing upward and not inward. Do the same technique as with the other splits.

8) You can also practice the center split by laying on the floor on your back and putting your butt up against the wall so your legs are on the wall. Now, let your legs open up and allow gravity to pull on them. You may add a couple of pounds with ankle weights or something as you feel comfortable with it. You can hold this one for several minutes while reading a book or something.

9) Don't forget to do some light cool down stretching. This will help the muscles to ease back into normal everyday workload. Cool down stretching will help minimize soreness of muscles in the upcoming days.

Well, this should get you started in the right direction. Remember, it will be a long and hard journey to achieve your goal. I encourage you to keep at it though. These are only a few suggestions to help with your splits. There are oodles more stretches and techniques, but I trust that these will be helpful to you if done properly.

Good Luck!
    cheergirl27 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 04:30 PM
    I am a flyer, and I have been for 3 years, and sometimes I can't do my scorpion just right. But I just believe in myself, and stretch more. Turns out I do it in 2 seconds after that. And actually I suffered the same problem as you... I had to learn how to do a scorpion with my left leg to, because that was the leg I did with my heelstretch, I practiced daily, and with my mom, and coaches help, I learned it. It was actually fun learning it, now I can do a scorpion, scale, and heelstretch with both legs. Now I'm going for my bow-and-arrow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tips for getting over an ex [ 24 Answers ]

So what would you say are some good tips for getting over an ex? Also, is there ever any chance for your ex wanting you back? If you stay as your ex's friend while he has a girlfriend is there a chance that you would become the rebound if your ex and his girlfriend broke up? Just wondering....

I need a few tips [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the problem: A bicycler and a car driver started driving towards each other from towns A and B. After they had drove for an hour the car driver sped up by 20 km/h. If the car wouldn't have changed its speed, the bicycler and car driver would've met one hour later. The distance between two...

How much do tips [ 4 Answers ]

What is the right amount to tip a hair stylist? :o

View more questions Search