Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sultan_emerr Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Apr 12, 2005, 11:59 AM
    Security Update for Windows XP, 12 April 2005
    Microsoft Corporation - Windows XP family

Security Update for Windows XP (KB893086)
    Typical download size: 1.2 MB, 1 minute
    A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...
    Hide this update

Security Update for Windows XP (KB893066)
    Typical download size: 480 KB, less than 1 minute
    A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...
    Hide this update

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB890923)
    Typical download size: 1.1 MB, 1 minute
    A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...
    Hide this update

Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859)
    Typical download size: 1.3 MB, 1 minute
    Hide this update

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2005 (KB890830)
    Download size: 339 KB, less than 1 minute
    After the download, this tool runs once to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and automatically helps remove any variants found. After it runs, the tool is deleted from your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center or run an online version from microsoft.com. In addition to using this tool, you should use an up-to-date antivirus product to help protect your computer from other malicious software. Details...
    Hide this update

Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2005, 08:32 PM
    Yeah, just got the notice earlier myself
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2005, 07:29 AM
    Microsoft Security
    Hi,
    Ever heard of a more contradiction of terms? "microsoft" and "security"?
    Go back about 3 years, there are over 50 "security" patches.
    Why would anyone even bother with it trying to keep up with all the Microsoft bugs??
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Apr 15, 2005, 05:00 AM
    Security Updates
    Microsoft do take security seriously,that's why there are monthly security updates,or earlier should the need arise.50 security patches in three years is very good.Anyone who thinks an OS should have zero patches over it's lifetime is living in a fantasy world.Remember,the net is an ever growing battle against the idiots who'd just love to collapse the whole thing like a pack of cards.
    Any program can only be seen to work correctly once let loose "in the wild" and not kept under lab conditions.True,XP has been around since Autumn 2001,and Microsoft has been around since the days of DOS,yet even though I myself have posted on the forum arguing that Microsoft should have got it right by now,that is just wishful thinking.
    Odd as it might sound,in a way it's good that independent orgs and individuals report bugs and other problems with Windows,otherwise most home and business PC's would be in a dreadful mess.
    As I've said many times,I'm not a keen supporter of all things Redmond,aka ME for instance!! but I do give credit where it's due.

All the best,
    Nez.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 15, 2005, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Ever heard of a more contradiction of terms? "microsoft" and "security"?
    Go back about 3 years, there are over 50 "security" patches.
    Why would anyone even bother with it trying to keep up with all the Microsoft bugs????
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Fred,

Have you ever done any programming? Do you have the slightest clue what's involved in developing an operating system, especially one as complex as Windows which is more than just an OS? Do you think that Unix, Linux, or MAC OS is immune from these problems?

The only reason why Windows gets so much publicity about these problems is that Windows is on about 90% of the computers running. All the other OSes suffer similar problems, but you don't hear about them as much because so many fewer people use them which means that hackers don't try to exploit them as much.

Yes Microsoft needs to do a better job on security and apparently they are progressing. But the connected world is a more recent phenonmenon and security was not as important an issue in the past.

But to answer your question. The reason why anyone would bother to keep up is to make sure their machines are running as smoothly and as securely as possible. The reason for patches, bug fixes, etc is to FIX the problems (DUH!).
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2005, 01:54 PM
    If you were to ask me, I don't care if god made an os, it would not be perfect. Simple fact nothing can be totally perfect. If you don't update, your not using common sense to stay protected. 50 updates or so, yeah most were very small.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please Help I can't Uninstall Norton Internet Security 2005! [ 3 Answers ]

:mad:Please help I have been trying for 2 days to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2005, the Anti virus was showing as "Files corrupt" advised me to uninstall and reinstall, two days later after various attempts and reading on the Symantec website still none the wiser. Tried Add/Remove programs...

Norton internet security 2005 antispyware edition [ 2 Answers ]

I have tried to uninstall the above and it is now part uninstalled as something happened while uninstalling now I can not get in to uninstall again to remove the rest. HELP!

Windows update [ 24 Answers ]

I have had no updates from windows update since beging of December and auto updates are off. If I go to the site it says 0 -0 - 0 -0 in all the catogerys but I haven't changed anything. Ihas there just been no updates?? If so then it's a miricel lol

Norton Internet Security 2005 Query [ 8 Answers ]

Hi everone - I am quite new to this so please bear with me. I have been trying to install NIS 2005 on my computer for the past few days with major problems. Eventually I have got everything working except for Intrusion Detection which I cannot switch on. I get an error message and the link to...

Windows update [ 4 Answers ]

Hello experts, I'm not sure but I think I may have a problem. I ran the windows update and got the security update 823559 and a day or so later I received the same message that this update was needed again. I looked in my installed updates and noticed I have a total of 19 security updates with this...

View more questions Search