Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

May 7, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Not-so-neat writing
    Why is my writing so messy? I know my stuff sometimes, so it'd be a real shame for teachers not being able to read my writing. I swear, sometimes it even looks like chicken scratch to me! How do I make sure my writing is always neat?
    mastermagican Posts: 66, Reputation: 2

May 12, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    Why is my writing so messy? I know my stuff sometimes, so it'd be a real shame for teachers not being able to read my writing. I swear, sometimes it even looks like chicken scratch to me! How do I make sure my writing is always neat?
    My writing is messy too what I do is look at my friends and try to do the same or go home and practice

May 12, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mastermagican
    my writing is messy too what i do is look at my friends and try to do the same or go home and practice
    Really? That sounds boring, though. I'm not sure I'd want to put in the effort to copy my friends' writing. Going home and practicing is a good idea, but I'm the I-want-an-easy-answer guy. I don't want to put in the extra effort.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

May 12, 2007, 12:31 PM
    If you're committed to an easy answer, you're going to end up staying exactly where you are now.

My penmanship is terrible. I can recognize it, but it's as much to do with my memory as it is with reading it.

There are three things that I've done to improve mine:

1) Write more slowly. I've found that when I write fast, I fall back into my old habits.
    2) Write using script. I hadn't done so for years, but I switched back to it when I started seriously writing. It's much more legible than my printing.
    3) Change the type of writing instrument you use. I use a very nice 0.3mm mechanical drafting pencil, but I also naturally write small. I also use an extremely nice fountain pen for extended periods of writing. Both of these require a little extra bit of attention that also forces you to pay attention to the penmanship.

There's also 4: Type everything from now on.

May 12, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosnosna
    If you're committed to an easy answer, you're gonna end up staying exactly where you are now.

My penmanship is terrible. I can recognize it, but it's as much to do with my memory as it is with reading it.

There are three things that I've done to improve mine:

1) Write more slowly. I've found that when I write fast, I fall back into my old habits.
    2) Write using script. I hadn't done so for years, but I switched back to it when I started seriously writing. It's much more legible than my printing.
    3) Change the type of writing instrument you use. I use a very nice 0.3mm mechanical drafting pencil, but I also naturally write small. I also use an extremely nice fountain pen for extended periods of writing. Both of these require a little extra bit of attention that also forces you to pay attention to the penmanship.

There's also 4: Type everything from now on.

LOL, I can't do choice #4. What's script?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2007, 12:55 PM
    Writing is a motor skill and requires practice. Nosnosna has great suggestions. Script is like the writing you see on this site rather than cursive writing.
    mastermagican Posts: 66, Reputation: 2

May 12, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    Did I help or not
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

May 12, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Script is cursive, as opposed to print.

May 12, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    Writing is a motor skill and requires practice. Nosnosna has great suggestions. Script is like the writing you see on this site rather than cursive writing.
    Sorry, I made a big mistake.

May 12, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mastermagican
    did i help or not
    Not really. I just can't commit to practising writing at home.

May 12, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosnosna
    Script is cursive, as opposed to print.
    Oh! Wait, I suck at cursive writing!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Writing an Agenda [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I would like to write an agenda for the following subject: I am a project engineer for a company and I have a lot of projects to be done for my company. I am going to have a meeting with the managers and I would like to have an agenda for what I am planning to present or suggest in the...

Writing a CD [ 9 Answers ]

About a year ago I wrote a CD with some important data on it, and accidentally forgot to finalize the CD. My hard drive crashed, and had it replaced. However now I want to read the CD but I can't because nothing shows up. I'm sure that there is data there because when I look on the underside of the...

Novel writing [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 100,000 words into my story and I've got a nagging feeling it's too slow. The story takes place several years after the country was hit by drought and how people are still suffering from its effects. The maincharacter is a seventeen year old girl who was rescued from a lap dancing club and...

View more questions Search