Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chirayu_s Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Water leakage + toilet bowl water level
    Hi,

I have a new house (1.5years old) and I recently noticed water leakage from the ceiling just below the master bathroom on the 2nd floor. I called the home builders (I have warranty on this house) and they said they could not find any leaks and that it happened because of improper usage. I am pretty sure I have not caused the toilet, sink or bathtub to overflow.

I also recently noticed that the water level in the "toilet bowl" (not in the toilet tank) reduce about three inches over a period of 1.5 weeks.

The questions I have are

1. Why would the water level in the toilet bowl reduce?
    2. Could this be the cause of the leakage?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 8, 2007, 03:23 PM
    1. Why would the water level in the toilet bowl reduce?

This could be caused by several things. If you hear a gurgle from a fixture when you drain or flush you could have a blocked vent that lowering the level by suction. It could also be a crack that can't be seen and is leaking water down on the floor. But you will never know until you open up the ceiling and locate the source of the leak. Of course the builder's going to blame you. It's a lot less money out of his pocket then if he took responsibility to track down the leak. Insist on the builder honoring your warranty. Let me know how this turns out. Good luck, Tom
    hauser5 Posts: 699, Reputation: 92

Dec 13, 2007, 04:37 AM
    I immediately thought either the wax seal was improperly installed, or there may be a crack in the bowl or tank. A hairline crack can leak, and be impossible to see! May have to feel for a leak!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Bowl Water Level [ 8 Answers ]

My toilet bowl will not fill up. After you flush the toilet you can see the water level in the bowl go down. The toilet is a brand new Kohler. I didn't have a problem with the old toilet but that was an american standard. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thanks for your time.

Water level in toilet bowl [ 1 Answers ]

Water level in toilet bowl is very low. When toilet is flushed, the water rises almost to the brim before going down again. Would adding water to the toilet bowl before flushing help or harm the situation?

Toilet bowl water level [ 4 Answers ]

How can the water level in the toilet bowl be lowered?

Toilet Bowl Water Level [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to increase the water level in the toilet bowl?

Toilet bowl water level [ 11 Answers ]

I am not totally unfamiliar with plumbing, but this one has me stumped. I flush the toilet before I go to bed. In the morning the water level in the bowl has dropped a couple of inches. When the toilet is flushed there appears to be an air bubble which comes up, but the toilet flushes almost...

View more questions Search