Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hybridmoments Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2005, 09:10 AM
    60 amp 230volt home circuit needed
    I'm going to be running a Plasma Cutter and 230V Tig welder. The plasma cutter requires between 55-60 amps maximum.

I was wondering what I need to do in order to run a 230 volt, 60 amp circuit from garage mounted circuit panel, to an external receptacle outside of my basement on a concrete wall.

Would a subpanel be a good option? Can I tie into the main power coming into the main circuit breaker. Then run the wiring to a subpanel located in the basement?

What do I need to do this, and how?
    Would 4 gauge wiring be large enough? The run is about 60 feet altogether. Through attic above garage, down 1st story wall into basement, along basement ceiling, and outside to an external receptacle.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2005, 01:50 PM
    Four Gage wire should be heavy enough. If your existing box doesn't have provision for a feed to a sub panel, you will have to set a box for a breaker or fuse where you tie into the main feed. From there I would run to a weathertight exterior box outside the basement wall with a circuit breaker or fuses. You must have a disconnect within sight of the load.

How is your service entry? A 60 amp load on top of the normal load may be more than it can handle.
    hybridmoments Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2005, 01:59 PM
    200 amp service.

So breaker box would have to be mounted outside in sight of the receptacle.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2005, 05:06 PM
    I know the ''in sight'' is required of anything in an industrial setting. It seems to be a standard practice now for home air conditioners. It is a poor practice to make hot connections on welders. You want a convenient disconnect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Advice needed please on home hair colouring [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I used to have a fantastic hairdresser who came to my home every 6 weeks to colour my hair for 10 years, I loved how she did it, but unfortunately she had to move away because of her husbands job. This has been over 6 years and I have tried unsuccessfully to re-create the colour myself at...

Are fresh air returns needed in a home system? [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing my old existing AC/heating unit and my contractor recommended not putting in a fresh air return in the system. My impression is that one is needed. Our house was built in '64 and is not air tight. I want to insure we do not have a sick house syndrome. Any educated information would...

Gfi circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if when wiring for 2 gfis for different circuits, do I need separate neutrals for each or just a common one

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search