Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ellaberry Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Bruised ribs--maybe worse?
    Does anyone know the difference in feeling of having a bruised rib versus a separated or cracked one? I've been trying to find it on the internet but there isn't a lot of info on how to determine it. My boyfriend and brother both think it's just bruised and that I don't need to go to the hospital, but it really really hurts! Like, I get sharp pain whenever I try to lay down or sit up, when I reach my left arm up (eg. To put a dish in the cupboard, to hand up my bathtowel),
    Or when I cough oh my does that hurt. I can't breathe as well as I used to but it's not like I'm having a hard time breathing.. so is this a bruised rib? Or worse? And if it is only a bruise how long will it take to stop hurting. Some things I read people say a week others say 6 months.
    It's been 3 days so far.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 7, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Sweetie, you need to have x-rays done. If it is a cracked or broken rib you risk a collapsed lung which can be life threatening.

The only way to tell for sure what this is, is through an x-ray. The pain can be equal in bruised, cracked, or broken ribs. Also, there may be other damage that might need to be checked out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He's worse than me! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys... So over the past few months I've developed some kind of friendship with one of my suppliers, he's awesome, we really do gel and I know he feels the same. It's one of those cases where you just know someone. So anyway, not only do we chat for hours on the phone at work but after hours...

Strike to ribs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been hit hard to the rib cage and could not move for 1st day, 3rd day still moving very slowly. Extreme pain in the back muscles rhomboid and serratus ? I am curious about all the sounds of popping and creaking going on around the left side of my rib cage from the front to the back. It...

Bruised Penis [ 2 Answers ]

For 2 months on and off I have been getting a smarting pain inside my penis, its worse when I shower and soap gets to it. Is there anything I can do to relief the pain

Swollen & bruised... : ( [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, my boyfriend and I were having sex.. well I guess I got rough or something, but he said his penis was starting to hurt.. well we took off the condom and it was a little swollen.. well after a while we just thought he needed some time.. well about an hour later it started looking bruised and...

It keeps getting worse and worse [ 4 Answers ]

I recently separated from my husband after 20 years of marriage. He has been keeping financial info from me for years. Found out at the sell of our home that there was an IRS lien on property (loan is in his name) Also found out that house is going into foreclosure. The closing fell through,...

View more questions Search