Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pig59craft Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Craftsman Briggs & Stratton 15.5 Riding Mower Want Start
    I have put in new battery, new solenoid switch and my mower still won't fire. No sound at all.
    What seems to be the problem?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 7, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Put your test leads on the black and white wires to the solenoid. When you turn the key you should see 12vdc across those two leads. If you have no power start by checking the 3 safety switches found on most Sears tractors. The easiest switch to find/test is under the seat. With no pressure on the switch the circuit is closed and when you apply pressure it should be open. Try the blade, clutch/brake switches also. If all switches test good I'd start looking at your ignition switch, wiggle the keye as you turn it on.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

May 7, 2007, 09:54 PM
    Save yourself some agony and follow the directions do not skip one because "you have already done it" humor me and you will see the light.

You will need a volt meter and set it to DC volts
    -Check the battery for 12.5 Volts
    -Check the cables attached to the battery for the same voltage checking for good connections
    -Attach the positive side of the volt meter to the + side of the battery and the negative side to the engine block, Still got 12 Volts? If not the ground from battery is bad.

-Now keep the ground on the negative side of battery
    -follow positive cable to the solenoid and hook volt meter on the cable going TO the starter coming from the opposite side of the solenoid.
    Turn key to "start" position you should have 12 + volts

YES-Check the same way on the starter motor where the cable FROM solenoid connects, If less or no voltage then cables or connections bad, If good voltage then starter is bad

NO- Take positive lead from volt meter to small wire going to solenoid and test for 12 Volts with key in the "start" position, If no voltage to small wire safety switch is telling it not to crank or ignition switch is bad (rare) If it does have voltage the solenoid needs replacing (common)

Hope it helps,
    .Don

May 8, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Don, your steps are good but I see you skipped the idea of any problems with the safety switches. Was that an oversight or do you just never see them as a problem? The last two Sears tractors I worked on both had bad seat safety switches, maybe too many big fannies in my neck of the woods.

May 8, 2007, 07:19 AM
    The last step takes into account the safety switch, and yes they are a major problem but for some reason the obvious is usually overlooked like a bad battery or poor connections.

Thanks for pointing it out though.
    Don
    trapperx13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 05:20 PM
    I have a craftsman riding mower, l5.5 hp, the other day I checked the oil and forgot to screw the oil dip stick in so it blew out onto the maniford, when noticing smoke, I parked it under the shade tree (I'm In Deep South TX, and it's a thousand degrees already, lol), the engine was idling, I shut it off, got a quart of oil, filled it up, tightened the dip stick jumped on the seat, hit the Key, and Nada, zip, 12 volts to the Soleniod, good fuse, juice to the ignition switch, but notheing else, no head lights, not even a click. Anyone got any good advice?

May 10, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Probably Too much oil, hydraulic lock oil in the cylinder and piston won't come up.

Don

May 11, 2007, 07:42 AM
    First, your engine heated up a bit due to low oil so it must cool down. Follow New's thought about the oil level and insure it is at the proper level. Remove the spark plug and turn it over. If it is still seized without the plug you have some major damage to the cylinder and/or piston.
    jimchel Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 13, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pig59craft
    I have put in new battery, new solenoid switch and my mower still wont fire. No sound at all.
    Is the starter cranking?
    seanc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newaukumdon
    Save yourself some agony and follow the directions do not skip one because "you have already done it" humor me and you will see the light.

-Check the cables attached to the battery for the same voltage checking for good connections
    -Attach the positive side of the volt meter to the + side of the battery and the negative side to the engine block, Still got 12 Volts? If not the ground from battery is bad.

-follow positive cable to the solenoid and hook volt meter on the cable going TO the starter coming from the opposite side of the solenoid.

YES-Check the same way on the starter motor where the cable FROM solenoid connects, If less or no voltage then cables or connections bad, If good voltage then starter is bad

NO- Take positive lead from volt meter to small wire going to solenoid and test for 12 Volts with key in the "start" position, If no voltage to small wire safety switch is telling it not to crank or ignition switch is bad (rare) If it does have voltage the solenoid needs replacing (common)

Hope it helps,
    .Don
    Hey Don,

I haven't run your tests but had a follow on. I've got a Sears tractor. When you turn the ignition to crank, there is a loud and obvious clunk as the solenoid engages, but it does not crank. I put a test light(no multimeter handy) on the lead to the starter and repeated the test and there is no power. I put the testlight directly on the poll of the solenoid to the starter and it did not light when repeating the test.

The testlight lights up on the other pole of the solenoid as expected.

I bridged the posts on the solenoid briefly with a conductor and the motor cranks over as expected.

Is this a bad solenoid? It sounds like it is engaging fine, you can feel a noticeable thud as it engages...

Thanks,
    Sean

May 15, 2007, 12:21 AM
    If it is clicking and you have voltage at the small post on the side when the key is in "start" then you have a bad solenoid. More trouble than it is worth but I will drill out the reivets or bend back the tabs (whatever one you have) and clean the solenoid, they get corroded.

Don

May 17, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newaukumdon
    If it is clicking and you have voltage at the small post on the side when the key is in "start" then you have a bad solenoid. More trouble than it is worth but I will drill out the reivets or bend back the tabs (whatever one you have) and clean the solenoid, they get corroded.

Don

Hey Don.

There is power at the small post. I unmounted the solenoid and gave it a knock with a wrench. It worked intermittently(power on the starter side big post).

I drilled out the rivets and took the back cover off. I put 12v on it and it clearly engages, but with an ohm meter across the big posts, it only completes the circuit 1 in 5 times.

I disassembled completely and the large post on the starter side was totally carbon'ed over.

I'm piecing it back together now and will try again in the morning.

Sean

Edit to add... It works like a champ now, all is well and it didn't cost a dime.
    barbp110 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 05:23 PM
    I have a similar problem with my 10 yo 12.5 HP B&S Craftsman riding mower. These tips look great and I intend to do my testing tomorrow.

However, one thing not mentioned in any of these posts-- when I turn the key I get a rather loud buzz and that's it. No clicking, just a buzz. Does this give any hints as to what the problem might be? As I said, I'll definitely go through the testing hints given above.

Thanks alot-- this thread has really helped me!

May 26, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by barbp110
    I have a similar problem with my 10 yo 12.5 HP B&S Craftsman riding mower. These tips look great and I intend to do my testing tomorrow.

However, one thing not mentioned in any of these posts-- when I turn the key I get a rather loud buzz and that's it. No clicking, just a buzz. Does this give any hints as to what the problem might be? As I said, I'll definitely go through the testing hints given above.

Thanks alot-- this thread has really helped me!

Or is it more like a humming sound(like electricity if it had a sound?)

My first guess is the battery is dead and doesn't have enough power to crank the engine.
    detective117 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pig59craft
    I have put in new battery, new solenoid switch and my mower still wont fire. No sound at all.
    Did you check the safety switches? On some Craftsman riders there are up to 4 safety switches. There is a seat switch, blade engage switch, deck lowering switch, clutch/brake switch. Some have just a single switch and some are 2 switches in one.
    stellburg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 10:30 PM
    Stellburg
    To all
    Craftsman LT 6 speed 38" mower Model # 917.254245 - - won't fire, solenoid just clicks.
    Tecumseh 12 HP
    I have put in a new battery, new solenoid , new starter, I have bypassed all interlock switches,seat switch,different ignition switch and my mower still won't crank!
    Any suggestions?

Jun 4, 2007, 11:14 PM

Hope it helps,
    .Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My tractor quit on me during my grass cutting. I have not been able to get it started. I've Changed the air filters, a new spark plug, a new solenoid, a new fuel filter, a new battery. When I put it on choke and try to start it, the engine turns but won't start. After that,all I hear is the...

Briggs and stratton mower won't start. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi,can anyone help me,my neighbors cox stockman 13hp ride on won't start. I've replaced the solinoid, charged the battery and checked all the wiring,it still won't start,not even a click when I turn the key, my neighbor said it did turn over once yesterday then nothing,dead.I have also checked the...

15.5 briggs & Stratton "Craftsman Riding mower [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman 42" Riding mower that's approx 5-7 years old. It runs great when it runs, but when I try to start it up is when I run into trouble. Ive replaced the battery... brushes in the starter... fuel filter... cleaned all the battery connections including the ground on the frame. It...

Briggs and stratton 16.5 hp riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

I Have Oil Coming Through Valve Breather Tube. I Put A New Breather On And It Did Not Help. Any Answers? Tks Donna

View more questions Search