Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaoslost Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 09:18 AM
    98 Honda Accord starter issue
    So here's the problem and maybe somebody can tell me if it's the starter itself, a relay, or something I'm missing.

When I start my car usually the first couple turns of the key result in just a simple click, the motor doesn't spin the engine doesn't turn over just a click coming from the engine compartment. To start the car I can either repeatedly turn the key or I can hold the key to start and pump the clutch. Sometimes it starts on the first try sometimes it takes 15. The vast majority of the time when it does finally decide to start there is no stutter and it just starts right up. Sometimes the motor does sound a bit weak but I'm not sure if that's the motor or maybe the battery or some bad connection somewhere. The radio, and all electronics work fine, the lights don't ever dim so I assume the battery is working fine.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Reading this should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

Always start by fully charging the battery and cleaning the cable connections!
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

May 7, 2007, 09:37 AM
    I would assume the battery and or connections. Now, this is just a common fail item. I do know how to trouble shoot, but lets go with the easy stuff first.. The radio draws maybe 3-5 amps the starter can be a hundred amps or more for a short time. Jump the car with a good set of cables and see if that cures it. Appling another power source will eliminate the battery, check and clean the connectors and wires.. others will chime in with further isolation methods to further isolate. Start at the battery and ground first.

Oops while I was typing this monkey came up with the link! I read it its Great!

Thanks monkey!
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 10, 2007, 10:24 PM
    Ok I had the exact problem and for me it was the battery connectors that needed replacing. It could also be that the wire to the starter is loose and needs to be tightening.. I think if it was a bad starter than you would not be able to crank it at all. No this definitely does not seem battery related but could be connectors though. Good Luck!
    daveincave Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2007, 06:29 PM
    I have the same issue with my sisters car. To know if the starter is OK remove the black and white wire from the top of the starter. This one comes from the relay/fuse box. If the car cranks over OK then the starter and solenoid work properly. This is where I am lost. I don't know if these cars have a relay or not. I need to find where the black /white wire goes to. I hate cutting wire harnesses.. pain to retape...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where is the starter located on a 1996 honda accord [ 2 Answers ]

Whre should I look for the starter on my 1996 honda accord, my car will not turn over how can check if it is the starter,

1998 Honda Accord LX - starter problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Honda Accord LX that will not start - the engine will not turn over. This happened one time about 3 weeks ago and I was going to purchase a new starter (which I did about 3 years ago) but saw some information that it might be a main relay issue, but the car started every time I tried...

1996 Honda Accord Starter [ 3 Answers ]

I think I'm having problems with my starter. A week ago I was driving down the road and my entire dashboard went out and then came back on in a split second. The car still drove fine and I was able to make it to my destination. The next morning when I got up my car would not start. Initially...

1998 honda Accord starter problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have the same problem with my 98 accord as was posted many months ago and wondered if anyone had solved their problem. I just tried to start the car and although the starter could be heard spinning, it didn't engage the ring gear and so the engine didn't turn over. I have removed the starter...

View more questions Search