Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jungeun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2005, 03:21 PM
    Which Form to file?
    I have been working under an H1-B VISA since Dec. 2003. I am also a student who has paid tuition and tuition fees in 2004. Which form should I be using to file my taxes? I am from Korea and have been getting conflicting responses from several people. Last year my CPA filed my taxes using a 1040 form. Is this the correct form to use this year also?

Thanks!

Jungeun
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2005, 07:25 AM
    Jungeun:

You were under a H-1B visa for all of 2004, so you should file as a resident aline.

For 2004, file Form 1040/1040A/1040EZ, which applies.

For 2003, In my opinion, you should have filed Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. However, if the taxes paid are about the same and the IRS does not challenge it, it may be best not to draw attention to it by filing an amendment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file my previous years form 8843 now [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question, I was a foreign student in US till 2003. I filled my first tax return in year 2001 because I had an income at that time. After that assuming I don't have to file because I didn't have an income in year 2002 and 2003 I did not file any return nor I filled the form 8843....

Which form should I file? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, I am from China. My visa status is H1 from Oct. 1, 2005 and prior to that was F1. I stayed in Minnesota from Jan. 1 to May 30 and in this period I earned some money as a Research Assistant. Then I moved to MA till now. I am married and my spouse is still holding F1 in MN for...

Last date to file Form 843 [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any last date to file Form 843(to claim Social and Medicare taxes that have been withheld while on OPT)? Thanks,

Help needed: Form to file 1040NR? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Before I start with my question, Thanks to AtlantaTaxExpert for patiently answering the questions to all.It does really help us many reading your posts. I got most of the information I require from the questions other people have asked. I am trying to follow this post for my decisions...

What form to file ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am an international student. I graduated in last year September 2004. I started working on my opt for a company. I paid fed,state and other taxes from oct 2004 till dec 2004. I need to know what from I have to file for my federal and state tax return. Do I need to file 1040 NR EZ for...

View more questions Search