Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srini Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2005, 01:53 PM
    Dripping Noise...
    Hi:

We have 2 story house and when we start the taps in the sink or in the shower on 2nd floor it makes either dripping or some kind of beat noise comes on the 1st floor. It doesn't leak or anything but sometimes it makes lot of noise as if something is dripping constantly until the tap or shower is on. Is this common? I checked in the basement and also there is no obvious water marks in the walls. First I thought this is coming because of hot water expanding the tubes but then the dripping sound confuses me.

Any words of wisdom?
    Thanks
    --
    Sri
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 12, 2005, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by srini
    Hi:

We have 2 story house and when we start the taps in the sink or in the shower on 2nd floor it makes either dripping or some kind of beat noise comes on the 1st floor. It doesn't leak or anything but sometimes it makes lot of noise as if something is dripping constantly until the tap or shower is on. Is this common? I checked in the basement and also there is no obvious water marks in the walls. First I thought this is coming because of hot water expanding the tubes but then the dripping sound confuses me.

Any words of wisdom?
    Thanks
    --
    Srni
    Good morning Srni,

I wish you would have been a little more descriptive about whether it did it more on cold then hot. If cold then one of the first places I would look is the toilet tank. To check this open up the lid and turn on and off the cold water faucet on the lavatory while watching the float ball in the tank. Did the float ball bounce up and down causing the ballcock to kick on for a second causing the water level in the tank to overflow into the white overflow tube? If so the tank level's set too high. The water level in the tank should be 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube when the tank's filled. If that wasn't it then you're going to have to track it down be ear. Good luck, Tom
    srini Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2005, 10:22 AM
    Re: Dripping Noise
    Tom:

First of, thanks a lot for your reply. This sound comes in when we open the hot water mostly. It's not related to the toilet tank at all. It is mostly comes when we start the shower or the taps in the sink. When we flush it doesn't sound that much. I've been reading about Water Hammers but they mostly relate to banging noise not when you run the water -- so I am eliminating that out of the list. Next, the dripping sound sometimes is very loud and my doubt is that if it is really dripping that constantly I should see a puddle of water some where in the basement and my basement is dry. It is confusing...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Good morning Srni,

I wish you would have been a little more descriptive about whether it did it more on cold then hot. If cold then one of the first places I would look is the toilet tank. To check this open up the lid and turn on and off the cold water faucet on the lavatory while watching the float ball in the tank. Did the float ball bounce up and down causing the ballcock to kick on for a second causing the water level in the tank to overflow into the white overflow tube? If so the tank level's set too high. the water level in the tank should be 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube when the tank's filled. If that wasn't it then you're going to have to track it down be ear. good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dripping noise [ 5 Answers ]

We have a dripping noise coming from the upstairs bathroom, that we hear in the ceiling of the room below. It drips during and after we shower, but there is no water damage on the ceiling. We even checked the recessed lights and the fan/vent in the downstairs bathroom, and there's no water! It...

Dripping shower [ 5 Answers ]

I changed the valve stems, valve seats for both hot and cold, but shower continues to drip. Any ideas? Does it make a difference when I install the new valve stem, whether it is fully closed or fully open or somewhere in between?? Help.

Dripping Fridge [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE refrigerator with freezer on top, bought in 1998. There is water dripping from the top of the fridge. From reading other messages, I understand that there is probably something clogged/frozen. Is there anything I can do without taking everything out of my refrigerator and/or freezer? Or...

Dripping Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 handle Sterling bathtub faucet dripping. How do the stems remove to repace o rings and washer?

Dripping Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

The past couple of weeks, there's been a dripping noise coming from my toilet. It's been getting louder and more constant over time. I can hear the sound of water dripping, like from a sink, but it seems to be coming from inside my toilet. There's no leak, and nothing in the tank looks weird. ...

View more questions Search