Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2005, 09:04 AM
    Bathroom Circuit Venting Around A Corner?
    I am in the middle of a complete remodeling and upgrade of my 80 YO,5' x 9' bathroom. Toilet runs ditect into the 4" vent stack and will remain in the same place. New sink is circuit vented back to the stack and will be moved approx 15" further away from the stack but extending the 2" circuit vent should keep this working fine. The issue is what to do about the new Tub/Shower drain and venting. If I use a left draining unit it puts the drain in perfect alignment on the same wall as the sink and toilet and I could easily extend the vent circuit to include the tub. Full distance drain to vent would be approx 5'. What does not work as well is that to do the rough plumbing and have access to it later on I would have to tear into the lath and plaster wall in the adjacent bedroom not only creating a mess but some cosmetic issues as well. If I go to a right drain unit I will have complete and easy plumbing access since that area was the old attic entrance and will be easily accesible and modified to suit this purpose. The issue for the drain and venting is this, It would now move the tub drain approx. 9' from the main stack and 5' from the closest sink curcuit branch.

1) do I need to vent the tub for this short distance (5') if I use 2" drain after the 1.5" trap?

2) if so, Can I run this along the outside wall behind the shower surround, add a 90* turn back to the sink vent circuit?

3) and if yes that, wouldn't that weaken the outside wall considerably by drilling 2.5" holes for the PVC vent pipe to pass through?

Thanks in advance for your expert help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 11, 2005, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nervous
    I am in the middle of a complete remodeling and upgrade of my 80 YO,5' x 9' bathroom. Toilet runs ditect into the 4" vent stack and will remain in the same place. New sink is circuit vented back to the stack and will be moved approx 15" further away from the stack but extending the 2" circuit vent should keep this working fine. The issue is what to do about the new Tub/Shower drain and venting. If I use a left draining unit it puts the drain in perfect alignment on the same wall as the sink and toilet and I could easily extend the vent circuit to include the tub. Full distance drain to vent would be approx 5'. What does not work as well is that to do the rough plumbing and have access to it later on I would have to tear into the lath and plaster wall in the adjacent bedroom not only creating a mess but some cosmetic issues as well. If I go to a right drain unit I will have complete and easy plumbing access since that area was the old attic entrance and will be easily accesible and modified to suit this purpose. The issue for the drain and venting is this, It would now move the tub drain approx. 9' from the main stack and 5' from the closest sink curcuit branch.

1) do I need to vent the tub for this short distance (5') if I use 2" drain after the 1.5" trap?

2) if so, Can I run this along the outside wall behind the shower surround, add a 90* turn back to the sink vent circuit?

3) and if yes that, wouldn't that weaken the outside wall considerably by drilling 2.5" holes for the PVC vent pipe to pass through?

Thanks in advance for your expert help.
    I presume you are referring to a loop vent when you say circuit vent. Where you have two pipes, the bottom pipe used for drainage and the top pipe connected at the end of the drain line and looped back into the main vent.

Where would you be draining the tub in relation to the circuit vent line? If into the drain pipe of the looped vent you're within code. The one thing you must remember is that every fixture that has a trap must be vented.

If you're referring to the vent , yes but if you're referring to the drain line would that not put it over the 5' from trap to vent rule?

We make our holes 2 9/16 for 2" PVC. If your referring to 2 X 4" studs yes,(our code states no more then 33% of a stud shall be cut or holed.) if 2 X6 or 8" studs, no.
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2005, 10:52 AM
    more info
    The reply:

Q: I presume you are referring to a loop vent when you say circuit vent.
    Where you have two pipes, the bottom pipe used for drainage and the top pipe
    connected at the end of the drain line and looped back into the main vent.

A: Yes, this exactly what we are talking about.

1) do I need to vent the tub for this short distance (5') if I use 2" drain
    after the 1.5" trap?

Q: Where would you be draining the tub in relation to the circuit vent
    line? If into the drain pipe of the looped vent you're within code. The
    one thing you must remember is that every fixture that has a trap
    must be vented.

A: It would be no further than 5' from the nearest loop of venting at the
    vanity. I'll have 1.5" tub/shower trap into 2" drain, sloping to the main 4"
    cast iron stack. If I were to move the vanity vent loop over another
    16"-20" closer to the tun/shower it would make the tub/shower run less than
    4'.

2) if so, Can I run this along the outside wall behind the shower
    surround, add a 90* turn back to the sink vent circuit?

Q: If you're referring to the vent , yes but if you're referring to the
    drain line would that not put it over the 5' from trap to vent rule?

A: it is the vent but since they are 2x4 this is now not practical.

Thanks,

Herb.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concerns with circuit overload because of bathroom remodeling [ 1 Answers ]

I’m in the process of remodeling my basement bathroom and have hit a road-block with the wiring. Here are my questions. • Before I started my basement bathroom remodel, the only thing that was wired in the bathroom was a vanity light from a 15A circuit. This circuit is shared with the upstairs...

Bathroom circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I am putting a new bathroom in basement and want to know the correct wiring. I will be running a 20 amp circuit with a GFI outlet, vanity lighting, and a small exhaust fan. I want to run the fan and lights on their own switches. Can the GFI and others run off same circuit? If so how do I wire...

Drywall corner technique [ 6 Answers ]

Well, I am progressing with my seemingly endless bathroom remodel and have a few drywll/mudding questions: 1) What are some techniques for neatly mudding and sanding the top ceiling corners where the 2 walls and ceiling meet? I have a corner sponge which is great for the long 2 wall corners but...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

Bathroom Vent fan GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

My NuTone fan says that it's UL approved for over shower use when wired with GFCI circuit. Would it be acceptable if I ran the fan power wire first through a plain face (non-outlet, but outlet sized unit) GFCI unit, through the switch and to the fan with nothing else on that circuit? I know that I...

View more questions Search