Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2005, 08:35 AM
    Gets To XP Logo Then Reboots
    Hi everyone,

My girlfriend's mother has broken her PC and I'm trying to fix it. When she boots up her PC she will get to the Win XP icon but then it reboots itself. She told me she had gone out, leaving her PC on. When she got back she had some kind of message from AOL about an update saying she needed to restart which she did. After that she got into this constant booting - WinXP logo - reboot loop.

First thing I tried was wiping the PC. I've taught her well enough for her to keep regular backups :) This seemed to work for a few restarts but then I started getting the problem. I've gone into the XP recovery console and try running CHKDSK with the /r parameter. First time, it didn't complete. 2nd time it said it found and fixed some problems. Still getting the same error though. I'm going to keep running chkdsk, but I was wondering if anyone else knew some other things I could try.

I don't want to open the PC case as this will void her waranty if I need to send it back.

Cheers,
    Lee
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2005, 06:59 AM
    Re-boot
    Hi, Lee,
    Sometimes this is caused by either a virus or Spyware.
    Have you run a virus scan in Safe Mode?
    Have you run the normal Spyware scanner programs in Safe Mode?
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2005, 04:59 AM
    Can't get into Safe Mode. Same problem. Also I'm pretty sure it isn't a virus or spyware. The PC was thoroughly wiped and it worked fine for a few attempts (was never connected it to the internet). It's possible a virus could have got into the CMOS memory I guess but I also had made sure she had a virus scanner on her PC that ran scans regularly.

I've just told her to send it back to the manufactorers. It's still under warranty and I don't want to tinker too much in case I void it. Cheers for the input though Fredq.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Apr 12, 2005, 08:25 PM
    This problem is very likely caused by an automatic update of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. I've read that starting 4/13/05, you will no longer have an option of downloading SP2 or not. It will just download on its own. Everyone who has not yet upgraded to SP2 should expect similar problems in the coming weeks because of this forced download.
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Apr 12, 2005, 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cremedies
    This problem is very likely caused by an automatic update of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. I've read that starting 4/13/05, you will no longer have an option of downloading SP2 or not. It will just download on its own. Everyone who has not yet upgraded to SP2 should expect similar problems in the coming weeks because of this forced download.
    Howdy:

Actually, there is a workaround available already and is done right through the Microsoft Update site.. I found this with a dogpile.com search..

A home user can avoid the download easily, assuming they have not downloaded it already:
    1. Stop Automatic Updates component temporarily:
    a. Click Start
    b. Right-Click My Computer
    c. Click the Automatic Updates tab
    d. Click the radio button: Turn off Automatic Updates
    e. Click OK
    2. Open an Internet Explorer window and go to Windows Update
    a. Click Tools
    b. Click Windows Update. Allow the website to resolve.
    c. Click Custom Install
    d. Click Review and Install Updates
    3. Hide the Windows XP Service Pack 2 update
    a. When you find the Windows XP Service Pack 2, click the title and NOT the checkmark in front of the title.
    b. Now that you have highlighted this update, click the checkbox: “Hide this update".
    c. Click Install Updates. Service Pack 2 should have disappeared from the updates offered.
    d. Verify that Service Pack 2 is hidden by going to the link on the left-hand side of the website: Restore hidden updates
    e. When this opens, look for Windows XP Service Pack 2 and verify it is in the hidden updates
    f. Close the Internet Explorer window here
    g. Repeat steps 1 a-e, except this time change the behavior of automatic updates back to what it was before this procedure started.

Result: Automatic Updates is set to install or notify as it should, and Windows XP Service Pack 2 is not offered while it remains a hidden update.

To conclude, while many updates will be “delivered” to machines, this does not mean that users will be forced to install.

Respectfully,

Pat Walters

Murray
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2005, 07:16 AM
    Auto downloads
    Hi,
    You can stop automatic downloads by simply going to:
    Start/Run, then type in MSCONFIG
    Click on the StartUp tab at the top.
    On the left will be all the programs starting up when you boot up the computer.
    Scroll down the left to find anything that has auto in it.
    Left click on it to remove the checkmark, then click on Apply, OK, and re-boot the computer.
    If you uncheck something else you need, you can always go back and re-check it.
    Reason for SP2 becoming automatic:
    Microsoft has had so many problems with this SP2, people stopped downloading it!
    It has been supposedly "de-bugged", but who knows!
    All the above information is in addition to the other expert's post on how to disable the auto updates from going to Windows Update.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 13, 2005, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Reason for SP2 becoming automatic:
    Microsoft has had so many problems with this SP2, people stopped downloading it!
    It has been supposedly "de-bugged", but who knows!
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Sorry, but that info is BS. There is NO way that Microsoft can make an update automatic. How Windows updates is up to the user. There are three settings as I recall; never check, automatically check and automatically update. With the first, your system never checks to see if updates are available, that becomes the user's responsibility. With Autocheck, windows checks to see if updates are available and then informs you of that fact. With Autoupdate, updates are automatically downloaded and installed. Whatever option the user chooses stays until they change it. Microsoft has not and would not force a change in that to force you to accept a buggy patch. That's absolutely ridiculous.

As to SP2 havng so many problems, I've said this to you before. SP2 has been recommended by most of the major publications and gurus. Yes it has had problems, but most of those problems are user generated, not specifically because of SP2. The fact is the vast majority of those who downloaded it (and that includes several machines that I have responsibility for) have had no problems with it. You continue to ignore the facts by spreading this misinformation.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2005, 07:37 PM
    Yes, noboby can force you, just think if you were forced to download it, it would make world headlines and they would be screwed. In fact the best way in xp to do it, go to your control panel and click on the security tab, go down to manage them, and click on auto updates and do as you please, best way would be to set it to inform you but not download them, leaves you the ability to pick them.

Apr 14, 2005, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    yes, noboby can force you, just think if you were forced to download it, it would make world headlines and they would be screwed.
    Exactly, but that didn't stop Fred from posting such BS.

Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    in fact the best way in xp to do it, go to your control panel and click on the security tab, go down to manage em, and click on auto updates and do as you please, best way would be to set it to inform you but not download em, leaves you the ability to pick em.
    Again, exactly. That's how I have it set. I want to know when the updates are available but I want to choose for myself whether I accept them.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Apr 14, 2005, 08:38 AM
    Sp2
    Got to put my pound,or dollar's worth in over Service Pack 2.I had it put on a disc for me from the first day it was officially released to the general public.Having had it virus checked three times,I installed it successfully.I have to say that personally I've had no problems what so ever.Some of my friends don't like it,and I've heard people say it causes more trouble than it's worth.If you don't want to install it,then don't.If people are so anti-Microsoft why not install Linux and save all the moaning.On this forum noone's had more of a moan about Windows than me,but even though I use Linux on my reserve PC,I shall stick with Sir Redmonds products,as that seems to be the OS of mass choice.

All the best,
    Nez.

Apr 14, 2005, 10:04 AM
    Nez,
    Valid points, but do you think someone who is still using Win 98 would have a clue about Linux ;)? What really burned me here was the asinine suggestion that Microsoft had forced an automatic install of SP2. Of course I don't expect to ever see an admission that the suggestion was offbase. Just like we haven't see any such admission for any of several other pieces of misinformation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

XP hangs at the startup logo [ 5 Answers ]

When I open my computer-(Athlon AMDXP2000)-Motherboard ECSK7S5PRO-Memory 256-DDR-PC333-Optical Mouse Keyboard PSII) XP hangs at the startup logo and will not move beyond that. There is no message or blue, black screen- just the Logo staring me in the face. Can anyone suggest anything at all,...

Most popular registered logo [ 24 Answers ]

HI, I would like to know, what logo is most widely registered around the world. I have heard that it is WWF and the secon one in Coca Cola, however I need to verify that. I have contacted both companies but with no luck. If you know - please answer. Thanks Anna

Computer reboots by itself [ 11 Answers ]

OS win2000. Computer reboots by itself. It might work 5 minutes and reboot or several hours and reboot. Any suggestions. Thank you.

Computer reboots whenever it chooses! [ 5 Answers ]

My computer has Windows ME. It has a mind of its own. It shuts down and reboots whenever it decides to. I have reloaded Windows ME. What else should I do?

Computer Reboots [ 5 Answers ]

My computer reboots whenever it feels like it... What is causes that?

View more questions Search