Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheryl777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 09:27 AM
    Smoking and autism
    Im giving up smoking. (Begrudgingly!) as I have recently found out that I am pregnant. However I have since heard a rumour that smoking and in particular nicotine can cause autism. If so should I not stop using the nicotine patches that my doctor has prescribed for me?!
    Help!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 6, 2007, 09:29 AM
    The cause of autism is truly unknown. It is known to happen more in upper class families where the parents don't have much time for the chidren. However, the true mecanism of autism remains a mystery.

Nicotine is known to cause low birth weight though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth defects such as seizures/autism from zoloft [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of side effects from taking zoloft during pregnancy and about birth defects?

Autism Disscussion Requested [ 10 Answers ]

My little 3 year-old nephew has been diagnosed with Austism. Can I find information somewhere on this site from someone who's tried chelation therapy for heavy metals including mercury blood levels? Perhaps there is another area that this is being discussed? I'm sure this is considered...

Aderral for autism? And clonodine [ 1 Answers ]

are this pills safe for children with autism>? my son have autism and he takes this evryday is it safe x him?

Autism [ 2 Answers ]

Is autism curable? And to what extent autitic person can be adapted to ordinary life?

View more questions Search