Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Missa21nh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Signs that my cat is in labor!
    I have a cat she is a little over a yr old, she is a house cat. She is pregnant but I don't know when this happened but she is definitely pregnant she is getting big her nipples are pretty big you can feel the kittens moving inside of her. I have a basket set up for her with blankets in it she goes in it every so often but I don't know when she is due. How do I know when she is going to be having the kittens? I know a lot of people say she will pant more and she will stop eating and drinking and become restless are there any other signs because she should be due soon and she isn't showing any of these signs.:)
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2012, 05:01 PM
    Some of the changes which occur right before labor include the need to start nesting; two days before giving birth, she starts producing milk; leading up to labor, you may see less of her as she seeks out the protection of her private place; she could also go the opposite way and become more affectionate toward those she is closest to; you may see her pace back and forth, get restless, she may lick at her genitalia frequently.

Don't worry so much. For the most part, cats can take care of this themselves. Your job is to ensure she has a quiet, stress free environment. Most people suggest using a box for the delivery and care of the kittens. It should have sides high enough to prevent the kittens from getting out, but allow mother to go in.

I would suggest towels and newspaper lining the bottom. Most cats feel comfortable in dark places, in corners, closets, under beds, etc. It is good that you are getting her used to a comfortable place. The one thing we don't want happening is to get her stressed enough to stall labor. This can be a problem.

You may also want to include some surgical gloves, an eyedropper in case you have to help mom remove mouth and nose secretions; antiseptic to apply to the umbilical cord scab; scissors in case you need to help mom with cutting the cord; Vet's phone number; Emergency Vet Hospital #; clean towels and, just in case Mom needs help with feeding -- get some kitten milk formula.
    cupcake obsesso Posts: 25, Reputation: 0

May 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
    Sometimes the cat will pant before labor but also she will start to meow in pain. At least that's what happened to my cat. Then she went under a couch and give labor. Most of the time my cat would not eat or drink about 2 days before labor.
    Sorry if this wasn't helpful.
    If you have any other questions let me know. =]
    snitch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 05:34 PM
    PLEASE HELP!. I have had my cat "lolly" for just over a year she has gotten bigger in the belly and I think she may be in labour, she is panting and also scratching at corners and the inside of our bath, I have lightly felt her belly its defiantly big and swollen but I don't feel kittens moving I have made her a bed in a draw with towels and put her in a dark small room but have not seen any milk coming from her tits can some one help is she in labour?? REPLY ASAP PLEASE I'm very worried??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help Cat In Labor! [ 11 Answers ]

Yesterday my cat's kittens were moving rapidly in her stomach and she starting having contractions at about 2:00pm. She hasn't done anything since! This morning I noticed her having some small contractions. (wave-like motions) I am wondering how long she can go on with having these contractions...

Cat In Labor [ 5 Answers ]

How long does it last from the time the cat starts contractions to the time they give birth to the first kitten?

My cat is in labor [ 1 Answers ]

My cat had one kitten last night around 12:30 am, we left her to have them and went to bed, she still only has one kitten, and it's 8:21 am.. it feels like there are more kittens in her, and we don't know what to do? It seems like they should all be born by now. Can we help her? We can feel other...

Is my cat in labor? [ 2 Answers ]

My friend has a cat who is very pregnant. She doesn't know when exactly she became pregnant but thinks it might be around Oct. 5. The kittens are moving continuously right now and the mom to be is very gassy and not too interested in eating. She always wants to lay down next to my friend and be...

View more questions Search