Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0TARA0 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Teen Girls
    I'm the mother of 2 kids and I got a important question why is teen girls 12-15 having sex and having babies at a young age. Surely they should be thinking about education and their future not sex...
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

May 5, 2007, 09:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0TARA0
    im the mother of 2 kids and i got a important question why is teen girls 12-15 having sex and having babies at a young age. surely they should be thinking about education and their future not sex....
    I'm not really sure. Maybe the media reinforces the idea that getting pregnant is good? Maybe they like babies and want to have a few... Maybe they want to be cool and popular. It could be for the sake of pleasure. They might love someone and show them they care. Some of the reasons they have sex aren't healthy reasons.

In my opinion, not a lot of teenage girls have sex. I don't know any 12-15 girls who have had sex and I've never heard of someone who had. I do agree they should think about their education and their future and not sex.

A fact: Only about half of high school students have ever had intercourse. Fewer have it on a regular basis. Most kids who had sex wish they had waited...
    Does this answer your question?
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2007, 10:04 PM
    I highly recommend that anyone with teenage girls try to arrange for them to take care of someone else's baby for a day or two. That would soon let them see what hard work it is. And hopefully encourage them to wait.
    anonymousteen09 Posts: 30, Reputation: -2
    -

May 8, 2007, 07:58 AM
    I am 15 and I had sex for my first time. Honestly, all my friends have had sex and that made me start feeling differently about sex. Boys are pigs and they will tell girls anything they want to hear to have sex and that's also around the age when boys start noticing girls and vice versa. Also stuff in the media. You should watch the movie called Thirteen, that could tell you a lot.
    JakeDD Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

May 17, 2007, 04:15 AM
    im the mother of 2 kids and i got a important question why is teen girls 12-15 having sex and having babies at a young age. surely they should be thinking about education and their future not sex....

As for the girls that get pregnant on purpose:

I have a strong suspicion that many teens hate their home life and do it as a radical step towards gaining a sense of personal independence.

For the teens that just want to have sex:

Who doesn't want to have sex once those desires come up? Curiosity boils and questions arise because of all the talk and red tape. I guess the real question isn't why they do it, but why they do it against the advice of people older than them. For many I think it's just experimentation. For some, I think they just want to declare themselves ready for everything adults do. That's probably the majority of the thrill of it.

I'm not sure how to talk your kids out of doing it. If they deeply respect your values and you've made it clear what you think of it, they will think twice before they do it. Don't try to relate them like a teenager. You will never be as "cool" as their friends and can't make an impact like that. Be a strong, loving, wise parent who they know they can depend on. If they respect your wisdom, they'll be ashamed of themselves if they go against it. The fact is, most kids don't care what their parents think because their parents aren't good at parenting. However, today's parents have a lot more to teach because the parents of the child's friends aren't teaching their kids much of anything. The lack of values from those kids will have an impact your child if you slack one bit in your parenting style.

If you think the schools and government programs will try to talk your kids out of sex, THINK AGAIN! They teach the kids to wrap it up...
    ERIKGRUBBS Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 04:26 AM
    Sex is just not a big deal for kids any more. Sex is everywhere and everyone is having it. 12 years old sounds a little early, but I would think that 13 or 14 is fairly normal to start thinking about it. I'm 25 and I lost my virginity when I was 16, my little brother is 19 and He lost his when he was 14. Kids just seem older and a little more mature (especially the girls) than they were even when I was a young teen. It's going to happen eventually whether you want it to or not. As much as you might not want to you have to consider talking about birth control and safe sex with you kids. I think everyone knows how teens work, if you tell them that you forbid them to do something then they will only find away too do it just to spite you.

"The times they are a changing." -Bob Dylan
    ladyprincess Posts: 17, Reputation: 0

May 20, 2007, 06:44 PM
    My last reply was bad try talking to your girls about all the things that can happen because of sex like hiv or other std's I know sometimes its hard sitting down and talking to them about pregancy but in the end its worth it
    babydestinysmommy Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

May 20, 2007, 07:06 PM
    I know this is an old post however, I feel so strong about the topic I am compelled to post anyway.. especially after the ignorant comment left earlier. There are so many reasons teens have sex and it is all to easy at times to place the blame with one set cause. First and foremost, I believe that sex education should start with in the home. As parents we tend to try and avoid the subject or just all together forget to address the issue due to our hectic lives... Teach your children the consequences of sex. Don't sugar coat the facts either. I have a friend who went as far as showing her 13 year old pictures of people with genital warts and herpes. It is harsh and almost vulgar but at the same time it is no more or less than they would see 8pm on HBO. Here comes another part. The media plays a large part of what are children learn. Most of the popular shows are teens watch on a constant basis have plots that revolve around lust, affairs, and other sexual themes. Music is no better. Almost every song on the radio has a sexual theme behind it. Shoot even companies use sex and sexual appeal to sell products now a days. My daughter's father constantle watches videos on MTV Jams and BET. You would be amazed. I had to tell him to stop because my 4 year old was poppin and grinding like a video girl. I was horrified. Another aspect of this situation is supervision. There are so many households where two parents work.. or a single parent works.. and struggle even then. In turn the kids are left unsupervised and to be honest a lot of times curiousity gets the better of them. Even if someone is always home at your household doesn't mean that the same applies to your child's best friend's house. Despite what the prior poster stated children need constant supervision. They strive for their independence but at the same time still need simple guidelines... like I want to know where when why how who and what... Don't just threaten either enforce. Personally speaking from me. I had sex like 2 weeks after my 13th birthday. I had snuck out through my window and went to a party at a friends house. His Mom and Dad worked late night at a factory. We raided their liquor stash.. some 10 year old whiskey and the rest was history. It started with truth or dare.. and led to other things. Why I did it is still sketchy to me. I had heard so much about it... Kids bragging... I think it was curiousity more than anything. My family had never spoke of it and sex ed at the point never really focused on it. I didn't really understand all the consequences. Even slept with the guy unprotected. Ignorance...
    brooklyngurl345 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2007, 10:43 AM
    DON'T EVEN ASK!
    kristynn Posts: 502, Reputation: 66

May 27, 2007, 01:26 PM
    I honestly think they don't have sex because they want babies. I think they completely ignore the consequences and feel pressured by what society presents them with. They are probably eager to experience by themselves, but are too young to fully consider the consequences. At 12-15 years old, they might be mature physically, but mentally? - I don't think so!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Mostly it comes from chidren growing up to fast and the big lack of moral values taught in school and in our communities and even in our homes.

And then when you have kids from families that do have the better values, they end up with all sort of peer pressure from the other girls and from esp the boys. Add to this the lies told and accepted in the schools, and the misunderstanding that kids have of their parents. They confuse sex with love.
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

May 27, 2007, 09:42 PM
    I don't really know how to explain it, sex just kind of happens sometimes. You're making out with a guy and it goes too far. Just reinforce into our small hormone-charged minds that sex is for people over 20, something like when your brain fully developes. NO teenager ever wants to have a baby, and if they do they have serious emotional or mental problems. It just doesn't seem like it will happen. I don't know how to explain it. But the media doesn't help, especially the rap/rb
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

May 28, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kristynn
    I honestly think they don't have sex b/c they want babies. I think they completely ignore the consequences and feel pressured by what society presents them with. They are probably eager to experience by themself, but are too young to fully consider the consequences. At 12-15 years old, they might be mature physically, but mentally? - I don't think so!
    I do agree with most of the things you've said so far. But 12-15 year olds mentally immature? You do realize that there are teenagers out there that consider having sex a really stupid idea, don't you?
    XMouse Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 05:32 PM
    And when you where 15 you never wanted to have sex or even thought about it ?
    mikezapwnzor Posts: 99, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Technically almost around the age of 13 your body is mature enough to have kids and sex, but I think mentally you must wait until 16, at the minimum. I don't know what everyone else thinks but that is what I believe.
    HaRLoS Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jul 26, 2007, 05:07 PM
    I'm 17, and I first had sex when I was 15. It's mostly the boys! Girls nowadays tend to date older men. Older men want to have sex. This girl I know, she started having sex when she was 9, and she is only 13 and just had a baby! I come from a small city in saskatchewan and we have the highest teen pregnancy rate in Canada! I think it's the water. The t.v shows that are on t.v nowadays have a lot of sex in them. They also do not show the bad side affects of sex. I had sex for the first time because I felt if I didn't my boyfriend would break up with me. I wish I would have waited.

You need to talk to your children about sex, and make sure they tell you when they do have sex! Than put them on birth control! I'm on miniovral, it is supposed to be the second strongest, the strongest, ovral, can kill you apparently. These are just my doctors facts!

Also kids are having sex and a much younger age than they did when their parents were kids. I think that parents now are a lot more lenient than older parents. This could just be my opinion. But my mom always lets my boyfriend stay over, she knows we have sex, she was the first person I told when I lost my virginity. You need to gain your daughters trust and let them know that it is their decision whether or not they want to have sex, if they are afraid to talk to you about it, they will most likely end up pregnant and with STI's.

Hope I helped!
    Canada_Sweety Posts: 597, Reputation: 49
    -

Jul 26, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Hormones... simply put, hormones. Their little bodies start feeling new sensations and they desire things of a "mature" nature. Of course because they are still young, they explore, not thinking of consequences (for the most part).
    Rockabilly1955mama Posts: 662, Reputation: 85

Jul 26, 2007, 07:21 PM
    Peer pressure and music videos with girls in skimpy clothing dancing around are a big cause of it. But I don't think they have sex to have babies. They don't think before they act, therefore leaving them with the bad consequences.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teen sex [ 7 Answers ]

I am 16 years old and I have NEVER had sex. I know that this is normal however I have a problem. I have a girlfriend of over a year and a half (She knows the days I just agree). She has talked to me about sex before and she has mentioned her curiosity. She will not talk to me about it directly. ...

Historical Teen Girls Movie- Suicide or Suicide Attempt? [ 1 Answers ]

I remember watching a movie as a teen- about 10-15 years ago on Showtime or HBO. I think it took place around WWII, with a teenage girl that befriends a new girl at their school, which I think was an all-girls school. The girls meet with other girls (friends) from the school in the woods behind the...

Teen [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of diets and exercises and she do? She is now a cheerleander and is scared about fitting into a unaform. What do you think could help.

Teen Dating? [ 10 Answers ]

I was wanting to know who you people think should pay for dates. The teen girl or teen guy or would it be best to split the cost ?

Teen [ 1 Answers ]

How do you giv a girl the best orgasm? :confused:

View more questions Search