Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BRD4life Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

May 5, 2007, 05:44 PM
    Rabbit had baby... guinea pig problems
    I know u might say your not supposed to keep guinea pigs with rabbits but we do and they get along.
    My rabbit had babies and we didn't know for a little and once we noticed 2 were dead 2 were badly injured(now dead) and one had a few scratches and a missing ear. OK now there's 2 questions's. Answer either.
    1. the mother keeps kicking the baby up in the air when we try to let her feed the baby( :mad: ) (we still feed it ourselves sometimes)how do we get the mother to stop this?
    2. we think the missing ear might be infected how do we help this?
    kashumz Posts: 137, Reputation: 4

May 5, 2007, 06:16 PM
    It sounds like the mother rabbit has rejected her babies.

Please excuse me if I'm wrong, I'm not an expert.

I don't know if this works with rabbits too, but I know that with hamsters, if you touch their babies, the hamster mummy believes her baby has been "contaminated" and actually eats her baby, thinking it will not survive because it's been touched by a human.

This might be the same way with your rabbit. Since you've tried feeding the babies, mommy might think her babies are contaminated too, and she's killing them because she doesn't think they'll survive.

You really shouldn't keep a guinea pig and a rabbit together. There are many reasons you shouldn't allow a guinea pig and a rabbit to live together or even have their free range time together. Rabbits have very strong, powerful back legs and even a small rabbit could really hurt a guinea pig or even kill a guinea pig. You may think that your bunny likes your guinea pig and wouldn't hurt them, but rabbits only have to get excited and they can easily kick out by accident.

As far as the infection, you can clean it out with peroxide, but the wound definitely need to get it closed up. If the infection is severe, take your bunny to the vet.

Take care, I hope your bunnies do OK. ;)

Kasey
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

May 5, 2007, 07:20 PM
    I'm in pretty much total agreement here. I'm not sure about captive rabbits, but wild rabbits will reject their litter after handling by humans, as will many animals. It is also natural for many animals to push the weakest or injured ones out in order to give the healthiest a better chance at survival. It is possible this might occur even if the injured one is the only one left. If the missing ear is infected the mother may sense this and thus the reason for rejection. Any sort of infection will probably require a vet visit and possible antibiotic treatment of some sort.
    I also agree about housing them together. They may be okay together, but guinea pigs do have fairly vulnerable undersides and it probably would only take one good kick from the rabbit to very badly injure it.
    Good luck. Take care.

May 6, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Thank you ill get right on that. But one thing. Where can I get the peroxide?like just the local drug store or what?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 6, 2007, 07:59 AM
    It comes in a brown bottle at your local pharmacy or grocery store.

May 18, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Oh Dam He Died! Omg I Loved The Little Guy!! He Was So Cute Why'd He Have To Die! Die In A Hole God!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guinea pig death [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm kind of new to this but my little girl had 2 guinea pigs, both female. I went to feed them earlier and discovered one of them had died. Is there anything I need to do for the other guinea as I know she'll be lonely without her pal?

Can a rabbit and guinea pig breed? [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, So I have called several vets in my area and all of them tell me the same thing... that it is impossible for a female rabbit and a male guinea pig to breed. Here is my situation: I have a female rabbit that lives in the same pen as a male guinea pig. The female rabbit got pregnant with our...

Baby Eye Problems [ 2 Answers ]

My Son Is 7 Mos Old And Has A Triangle Of Color Missing In His Pupil,is There A Problem Here?My First Child Was Born Without A Tearduct And We Believe My Son Is Also The Same Way.when Should I Panic?

Possible ringworm in guinea pig [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know what over the counter medication can be used for a guinea pig with possible ringworm? Thanks

View more questions Search