Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Ever get tired of collecting what you have been collecting?
    I know a lot of people with collections, from baseball cards, bunnies, pins, hats and so on. Well my question is, does anyone ever just completely stop collecting what they have been collecting for many years cause they are bored of it? I collect chickens and roosters, around 200 or so now. They have started to flock to the living room and bathroom, even in my fish tanks, plants etc... I know I am crazy. Anyway, in the past few months I have been looking around and I think I am ready to put them away, I still love them and I have some that were given as hand me downs (how I got it all started) and some that don't mean as much. Should I pack'em all up or should I just get through this time in my life that I am bored with them. Is this even important?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Maybe you are experiencig overkill on the chickens. Why not box up all but a few of your favorites and swap them out every few months. Maybe that way you won't get tired of them.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2007, 06:42 PM
    That is what I was thinking. I was just afraid that it was over between my chickens and I. Thanks for the great input!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 08:04 PM
    I agree with Emland. It would be a good idea to rotate the display of them.

I love to collect certain things. But, what I think about when I have collected a whole lot of those things is, "Who is going to have to go through all of this and take care of whatever happens to all these things when I am gone?"

Have been successful in whittling down my collections to those items that I find most beautiful and endearing to me.

It might be good to think of quality as opposed to quantity.
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 6, 2007, 12:13 PM
    I collect roosters too - probably close to a hundred. Anytime family or friends would visit they said they felt creeped out from all the "eyes" watching them. Lol! Then I realized maybe they were right. I boxed a majority of them up and rotate them out every so often. I thought I would miss all my roosters, but I haven't so far. The funny thing is every whenever I go into my collection for rotation time, it's like Chrismas!
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 09:17 AM
    My husband is bring home some boxes after work and I am going to pack some up. Thanks guys. Now what am I going to do with all that room? Just kidding! Have a great day, it is absolutely beautiful here. Off to the river we go!
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

May 7, 2007, 09:26 AM
    I just went through that phase. Its very liberating to get rid of some of that stuff. I had several collections. That were not collectables! A wise person told me if they are a Fad item they don't hold the value. Like beenie babies. Coins or antiques are going to hold value forever.. Why not donate some to local church, for the next crop of bird collectors to enjoy! Birds don't want to be boxed, lol Just keep a few who will enjoy them in boxes?
    Just my 2cents...
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Now I will be thinking through each one and donating it if it doesn't have much meaning! I feel the same way about boxing them up, I will keep what I love and what ones are meaningful and give the rest. I can always start over if I really wanted to right? Thanks to all!
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 09:48 AM
    I have actually sold some of them on eBay, gottem for cheap knowing they were worth much more as antiques. Good idea, I haven't gone on eBay in a while, too caught up with this site. Haha, Thanks.

May 7, 2007, 09:49 AM
    As your name implies, Yes you could start over. Just remember the definition of insanity=
    Doing the same thing over and over and expecting diff results... LOL
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 09:50 AM
    That put a smile on my face, I know, I know!

May 7, 2007, 09:58 AM
    A wise person told me... Admitting you have a problem is 50% of the problem solved!
    Now I'm just having fun with this rooster thing. I don't mean it , just having fun you're a great sport..
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Yes, I am now having fun too. I think I am just having a few issues in my life, so the rooster thing is where I am starting. I am kicking a few things that are normal about me to show my change, and so now you can see that this is not as much about the "chickens" as it is about me. Now how do you like that assumption. I am heading in a new direction, seeing from some of my other posts, you can totally see why this is important to me. Thanks for the responses, just this little rif helped put a few things in perspective for me! Maybe I will even do some gosh darn sit ups today!

May 7, 2007, 08:11 PM
    I can relate! I just tore up my carpet, installed ceramic tile. Got rid of every bit of clutter, repainted rooms, steamed remaining carpet. I think they call my problem Fen schway
    Or mid life crisis. Oh and I bought a new Harley. Smack me please, now that I have pulled this thread so far off course I could make a pair of socks. I know I spelled it wrong. Just sounds french! Fen sway! Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
    I will stop it now! Sea you at the beach, Some Beach!
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 08:23 PM
    You are very busy, I am just mothering 4 children, cleaning bathrooms, doing laundry, selling a house, trying to get bills together, and packing up some chickens. Now that I think about it I could use a pair of new socks. Hahaha. And yes you are getting off course. Wasn't this supposed to be about me? Haha. At least the word chickens come up with every one of my post, I am sticking with the main subject. I wish I could take a break to go to the beach it is my favorite spot in the whole universe. See you there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collecting Agency [ 2 Answers ]

Hi: A few days ago I received a letter from a collection agency claiming that I owe $1000 from an unpaid account for XXX Receivables. They have not included any detail backups with this letter. The letter accompanied by a court draft stating that if I don't pay within 10 business days, they will...

Collecting a judgment [ 10 Answers ]

Hello I need some help, I was awarded a judgment in court some months back and now I am wanting to try and collect on it, the problem is how or where do I began to find personel information out on the person, things like there ss# is there a company out there that I can contact that may be able...

Collecting a judgments [ 2 Answers ]

HELLO, I like to know if you know of some company that will help me report a "judgment" to the credit bureaus? All answers will be appreciated Thanks

View more questions Search