Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Birdiesmom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Taking A Temperature
    Hello y'all! I was wondering if you should use a rectal thermometer when taking a cat's temp or if a regular oral thermometer would be sufficient?

My beautiful girl Birdie is ready to have her little babes any day now. She has had a mucousy discharge for two days now but, is not showing any other symptoms.

In fact, she is very playful and has been eating all day long! I have checked every website, forum posting, etc. for information and there is not one bit of info about a discharge. So, I am little on edge... waiting... waiting.

I thought that possibly taking her temp would relax me a bit?

Thank you very much for any advice.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

May 5, 2007, 07:41 PM
    If you are considering using a glass thermometer, I would not use an oral as the tip is generally longer and more slender, thus more easily prone to breakage. Though given that the cat may not necessarily take too kindly to this procedure, if there is no one to help you hold the cat still, you might want to try one of the digital plastic models that are designed for either use. Good luck.
    Birdiesmom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Thanks Thomas!

Birdie believes that she is quite far above me on the social status scale therefore, I am fairly certain that she would NOT "take too kindly" to my taking her temp! Ha-ha

Anyhoo, I certainly do appreciate your advice. I never would've thought of using a digital thermometer but, that is a brilliant idea!
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

May 5, 2007, 08:46 PM
    Hi Birdiesmom,
    You're very welcome. I have two cats myself, so I do understand. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Temperature and phase changes [ 6 Answers ]

Does heat energy increase during melting Is energy required for a phase change Can both liquid water and steam exist at 100 degrees c What must change, temperature or heat energy, burning condensation How would you describe the change in the arrangement of particles as heat energy and...

Fluctuation in temperature [ 2 Answers ]

My programmable thermostat turns the heat on above and below the programmed temp.Is this normal? Example thermostat is set at 22degrees heat will come on at 22.2 degrees or sometimes will not come on till 21.6

Ignition temperature [ 2 Answers ]

What is the self ignition temperature of diesel and petrol? Is the ignition temperature is same as flash point or fire point

Temperature [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the same air temperature feel differently in different parts of the country ? i.e. - Breckenridge, Colorado @ 40 degrees, feels much different than Houston, Texas @ 40 degrees no matter the time of the year.

Ground temperature [ 3 Answers ]

At what depth does the temperature remain relatively stable?

View more questions Search