Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geniustupid Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 5, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Neutral wire is hot
    My air conditioning quit working last night. The service man showed me that the current available to the unit was only 100 volts. He also said that the neutral wire was hot. He could not fix this because he's NOT an electrician. I'm not either but while I wait for the electrician to show up, I'd like to understand how this could happen as well as what to expect for a remedy.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 05:37 PM
    The Neutral draws the same as the Hot, They should show same heat damage unless something like neutral screw loose or neutral loose to recpticle.
    Replace recpticle and Ac plug. Loose connections generate heat. If you replace one, and the other still corroded/burnt you will be in a circle. Make sure screws are tight.

I am sure you meant a single white wire to recpticle. If you meant at panel. Could be multi-circuit and 2 wires sharing a neutral (must be on opposite phase)If one circuit draws
    20 amps and the other draws 20 amps, the neutral will draw 0.
    However, If both breakers are on same phase(Same Big wire, hot)Every other space is opposite phase.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Oh yea, almost forgot, measure voltage at ac recpticle(100 volts), measure voltage at breaker.If qualified, remove breaker and look at bus and breaker connecting . Is either burnt?
    Last, make sure Neutral is tight
    Personally, I would also verify tightness of all breaker and neutral connections

May 5, 2007, 06:08 PM
    When I say the neutral wire is HOT, I don't mean temperature.. . I mean voltage

This is a central air conditioning wired directly from the breaker. Only going through a simple switch in the closet next to the unit. I assume the only appliance on this circuit is the A/C. With the black and white wires disconnected from the A/C unit.. . I've only got 100 volts. I have not yet checked the voltage at the breaker. I'm curious what could be causing the loss of voltage
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2007, 09:07 PM
    It may just be a bad breaker. There shouldn't be power coming through the neutral, because there isn't a neutral wire at the outside unit. You have 2 lines both to ground should have 120 volts test them together you should have 240 volts. Again I'd say you lost the breaker.

May 7, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Turned out the problem was a loose neutral wire in the buss. The screw itself was tight but that turned out to be a false positive because it was not tight against the neutral wires it was supposed to be holding in place. The wires were quite loose. Moving them to another hole and tightening the screw fixed the problem. Thanks guys for your advise. I have air conditioning again and it's soooo cool. ; )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neutral Wire is Hot [ 11 Answers ]

I have problem with on one of the electrical outlet in my house. The problem is this, I measured from (Neutral to Ground 120V, Hot to Ground 0V and Hot to Neutral 120V). The power on this outlet will shutdown If I plug a coffee maker, radio Ect... into this outlet. Can you please advice what...

Neutral Break or loose wire? [ 16 Answers ]

The last couple of days, the receptacle where our entertainment appliances are plugged in has been intermittently failing (power loss). Tonight, I had a chance to investigate (but unfortunately killed the power and pulled the receptacle before checking voltages, thinking it was going to be a bad...

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

Hot neutral wire [ 3 Answers ]

Half of the house, has no power. I checked everything I thought it was, but not having any luck. I checked boxes where the power is not working for loose neutral, nothing. I have checked for lost leg in panel, nothing. I have checked for loose neutrals in panel, nothing. I have also unplugged...

Hot neutral [ 6 Answers ]

Very confused as to way the breaker does not trip if I have a hot neutral. We had a heated water bowl for the houses and the water beencame live. 110 to the neutral.So way did the breaker not trip. Stan

View more questions Search