Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ktadams Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

May 5, 2007, 03:06 PM
    High school coach needs to be punished for his behavior
    My son was treated wrong by a high school coach. The coach singled him out and treated him differently than he did the other players. He embarrassed him and bullied him. Do I have any kind of lawsuit against this coach. He should not be allowed to continue to coach. I've never filed a lawsuit so I don't even know where to begin. I have a solid case with witnesses.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

May 5, 2007, 03:07 PM
    I am not sure about a lawsuit, but I would make an official complain to the school and see how they are willing to handle it.

May 5, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiffy
    I am not sure about a lawsuit, but I would make an official complain to the school and see how they are willing to handle it.
    I have been all the way to the Superintendent. I think he was very upset with the coach, but I have never been told the outcome. I know he is still coaching and I would like to take it further.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

May 5, 2007, 03:20 PM
    He has probably just had a telling off and been told not to do it again, or words to that effect. You could try going to whoever is higher than the superintendent (maybe the school authority, I am in the uk so don't know how your system works) and say your complaint hasn't been dealth with sufficiently for you, but I really don't think it is a lawsuit thing. Someone else may have better advice than me though.

May 5, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Thanks - nice talking to you. You're probably right, but it is a shame that he only got a slap on the hand.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Treating one sports player differnetly is not illegal if they don't just like them, or if they don't like the way they play.

If they are treating them different because they are jewish, because they are black or white or red, or maybe even because of sexual oreitation, there may be a case, but just picking on one kid is not illegal, it may be poor teaching style, it may be poor communication but they can do it.

What was he picking on him about?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 04:31 PM
    If your school superintendent did not give you much in the way of resolution, you can file a complaint with the school board or your local NEA. But before you do that, make sure that you are not just witchhunting because your son come home and told you a story.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 5, 2007, 09:35 PM
    I agree with Fr_Chuck.It is not illegal to treat a player differently than other players.You have not explained the coach's reason.Yes.What was he picking on him about ?
    whambino Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 01:42 PM
    Nothing you can do will help, it is the good old boys club. They will lie, the Athletic Director will sweep it under the rug, and then the Coaches will tell you that your child is not a very good athlete anyway. They will try to discourage your child from ever playing a sport again, or worse yet blackball them. The only kids that are on the fast track to varsity are the kids whose familys donate lots of money (unofficially), or have older brothers/sisters that have played before them. It seems that Coaches think only certain familys have talent. We have been there and done that with 3 kids now, the Varsity Football Coach doesn't want my kid on the field. This makes 2 years in a row, my Son started as 1st team and by the 2nd game he was lower than the waterboy. Last year he wasn't big enough, this year he grew, gained weight, got stronger like asked to do. Now they put an underclassman ahead of him, because he wrestled and is smaller/faster. It doesn't matter that he is 30lbs lighter, lifts less weight, and is more suited to be a linebacker, not a nose tackle. Also game film has shown that that boy is getting blown back by his opponent, the Coaches dedicated part of practice to yelling at him and telling him that he needs to step up. One of my kids teammates told the Coach to put my kid in and the Coach gave him some B.S. other teammates do not understand why my Son isn't on the field either. 2 Assistant Coaches also have pointed out how good he is in practice, yet the Coach refuses to put him in. Talk about ruining a kids passion for a sport that he loved, this is his last year and he hates his passion, Head Coach, and School for robbing him of his Senior year of football.
    Good Luck
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 18, 2010, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by whambino View Post
    Nothing you can do will help, it is the good old boys club. They will lie, the Athletic Director will sweep it under the rug, and then the Coaches will tell you that your child is not a very good athlete anyway. They will try to discourage your child from ever playing a sport again, or worse yet blackball them. The only kids that are on the fast track to varsity are the kids whose familys donate lots of money (unofficially), or have older brothers/sisters that have played before them. It seems that Coaches think only certain familys have talent. We have been there and done that with 3 kids now, the Varsity Football Coach doesn't want my kid on the field. This makes 2 years in a row, my Son started out as 1st team and by the 2nd game he was lower than the waterboy. Last year he wasn't big enough, this year he grew, gained weight, got stronger like asked to do. Now they put an underclassman ahead of him, because he wrestled and is smaller/faster. It doesn't matter that he is 30lbs lighter, lifts less weight, and is more suited to be a linebacker, not a nose tackle. Also game film has shown that that boy is getting blown back by his opponent, the Coaches dedicated part of practice to yelling at him and telling him that he needs to step up. One of my kids teammates told the Coach to put my kid in and the Coach gave him some B.S., other teammates do not understand why my Son isn't on the field either. 2 Assistant Coaches also have pointed out how good he is in practice, yet the Coach refuses to put him in. Talk about ruining a kids passion for a sport that he loved, this is his last year and he hates his passion, Head Coach, and School for robbing him of his Senior year of football.
    Good Luck
    You are posting to a 3 year old thread. But Im going to address your comment because of what it represents.

Do you have proof of all your saying? Is it only the rich kids playing? I don't think so. I think your letting your anger get in the way of real issues. Being good at practice is nothing compared to being good at gametime. Its also possible your son said or acted in some way the coach didn't approve of and that is why he is where he is. Maybe the coach is trying to give him a wake up call. I played sports as a youth and have never ran into the situation you are proposing. Before you make outragouse claims your going to need proof. If you don't your opening yourself up to a lawsuit.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2010, 07:06 AM

I will chime in here, also, although it's an old thread. I dated a man whose son played football. The son and his friends took coaching directions and changes in the line up well. The parents went practically insane, screaming, "He's picking on my boy."

Ridiculous.

Coaches are coaches because they have superior experience and knowledge.

A person can only sue for monetary damages - what are the monetary damages here?

Sep 18, 2010, 02:57 PM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    This Coach is young and thinks he knows it all, all the other Coaches know my Son and they think he should be out there, but will not stand up to the Head Coach for fear of losing a Coaching position.

Sep 18, 2010, 03:00 PM
    Also my Son and the QB have never gotten along since they were little and this Head Coach is all about trying to get the QB a D1 scholarship. The truth is the Coach thinks the team is good because of him.

Sep 18, 2010, 03:02 PM
    In reality they are good because they have all played together in a good Park District system and both Varsity teams went undefeated because of the players, not Coaches.

Sep 18, 2010, 03:11 PM
    He also plays 8 out of 11 kids both ways, including the QB. The QB never leaves the field, even on kick-offs. The 3rd and 4th quarters teams start running all over us up the middle. Why? Because the players are gassed.

Sep 18, 2010, 03:14 PM
    Also if you think playing the same 8 out of 11 players both ways is the norm check around. He has 65 players, can you honestly say that no one else is good enough to play one way on either side of the ball. He is going to get someone seriously hurt

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Night school for high school-aged people [ 15 Answers ]

I heard about there being night school for high school kids. In fact, I think a friend of a friend went to night school when I was in jr. high. I've searched Google, and can't find any listings or info for night schools in PA. Does anyone know if they exist for high schoolers, and where I could...

What is a high school [ 8 Answers ]

What is a high school

Kicked out of high school. [ 6 Answers ]

My best friend got kicked out of high school in his last year before he was going to graduate... it pretty clear that he is unable to graduate this year... but what could he do as an high school alternative if there is such a thing? Please help

High school biology [ 1 Answers ]

What component is present in every part of a loop, such as one that involves proteins producing energetic molecules from sugar?

High school diploma [ 2 Answers ]

I gradutated from a christian home school in San Diego,Ca. in 1991. I am looking for a way to find the school or find a web site to locate my diploma.

View more questions Search