Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inozip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2007, 01:56 PM
    File Bankruptcy/Foreclosure or Keep Paying
    Ok, here is my situation:
    We bought a home 2 years ago.. $350K.. interest only with a second mortgage.
    Payments went up to almost $3000 a month after Hurricanes. We cannot make
    these payments, so other debt went on credit cards. We owe almost $60K in
    short term debt, credit cards, and lines of credit.

We also own a mobile home that was rented. We owe about $75K on it. It is for
    sale, but nothing is selling in our area. The home above is also for sale, but
    it is not worth what we paid for it, so we are trying to do a "short sale", but again
    the market is glutted with condos... nothing is really selling.

We have a decent income between the two of us, $5000 a month. However,
    with the credit card debt and other expenses, our total debts per month equal
    around $6200.00, creating a shortage.

This caused me to take a higher paying job, working 48 hrs a week, in another state.
    This is a short term solution and is creating a lot of problems, in that my husband
    is having to manage trying to sell all our property, work two jobs himself, etc.

We really don't know what to do?>?? We can continue this work effort and try
    to pay down debt, but the homes are not even retaining their current value, in
    fact, they are going down in value every day.

Should we file Bankruptcy and let the banks foreclose on our home? If so, can
    they also try and garnish the Mobile HOme, which will then be our homestead?

If I come home, and get a job locally, our income will be around $4000 a month
    which really will put us in a situation where we cannot make min payments.

This stress is too much, but if it would be worth it to "hang on" and ride this out
    we are both willing to do it to keep our excellent credit record. (however, paying
    on negative equity really doesn't make a lot of sense)

Thanks for any advice!:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2007, 02:47 PM
    While you can re-affirm a home debt in a bankruptcy which you could do on one of your homes if the lender will agree, But honestly it sounds like you need to get out of all your debt and work on a new budget.
    But it is time to start with an attorney.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 6, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Hello in:

Sounds to me that even with all your work, all you're meeting is the minimum payments. That's not stopping the balances from growing, plus you're living on your credit cards.

I love creative solutions, but I don't have one for you. Bankruptcy was made for folks like you. Keep the real house - it'll eventually go up in value. Get rid of the plastic house - it only depreciates.

Once your outgo is reduced to your mortgage and food, you can pay it down quickly, and when you reverse the upside-down status, you can refinance.

Wish I had better news. At least you're not going on the street, which is where of lot of people are going today who are in a similar situation.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure vs. Bankruptcy [ 6 Answers ]

My divorce papers have been signed by my ex and myself and I waiting for them to be signed by the judge and returned. The home we shared is in foreclosure and up for sale. I am debating whether to let it foreclose or file bankruptcy first. It has been for sale for 4 months now and I've given up...

Foreclosure vs Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

How does a foreclosure look on your credit compaired to a bankruptcy? Which one hangs on to you longer? And with bankruptcy do you pay the bank back on any money left over that the bank could not sell the house for? "If the bank sells my place for $300,000 and I owe them $350,000" Will I pay the...

Bankruptcy vs. Foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

Bankruptcy vs. Foreclosure. Which has the most negative impact on the future of your credit?:

Foreclosure vs Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Which is better? Foreclosure or Bankruptcy?

Sale or rent home in Alabama. Foreclosure? Bankruptcy? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I own a home in Alabama that we need to sell or rent. If anyone knows of anyone, please let me know. The home is in a great neighborhood; I moved to Washington State in October, 2006. I would have loved to have brought the neighborhood with me. Our home appraised for $179,900 in...

View more questions Search