Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Language vs Intelligence
    Hello:

In the days before language, how did we think? Did we form pictures in our heads? Were we as smart as we are now?

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 07:03 AM
    We may have been smarter in many ways. Not all progress is good.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

May 5, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

In the days before language, how did we think? Did we form pictures in our heads? Were we as smart as we are now?

excon
    Chinese " characters" are pictures
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2007, 04:30 PM
    We weren't alive in the days before language. How the people thought who did live then is anybody's guess. I suppose anthropologists may spend a lot of time trying to answer that question. Maybe one will weigh in here.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2007, 07:12 PM
    I think educated and smart are two different things.

My best friend in High School was Salutorian and got a scholarship to LSU, but I declare that girl didn't have the sense to come in out of the rain.

It is my understanding that people that are deaf think in pictures and blind people think in touch. I would think that a people without a spoken language would think in similar ways, don't you?
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

excon
    There is strong evidence (in the form of cave paintings-and in the development of tools by early humans) that suggests pictorial understanding of concepts, closely followed by practical examples of "meaning".

Short answer-yes-pictures are probably the easiest way of conveying information.

Cheers
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    It is my understanding that people that are deaf think in pictures and blind people think in touch. I would think that a people without a spoken language would think in similar ways, don't you?
    Do you think that they are deaf to think in pictures.. or without a common spoken language? I have been pondering this... And, without a spoken language, similar forms of communication have taken shape.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intelligence [ 2 Answers ]

Are we any more intelligent as humans than 200 hundred years ago? I don't mean base intellignece because I believe if some intelligent beings from long ago lived today (Newton, Edison, Einstein), they would still be considered as intellignet as humans go today.

How to change language in 'Regional and Language Options' without restarting? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there! On windows I have to work on 3 languages, Japanese, English and Thai. Some programs I use don't work on Thai-English windows, so I have to switch the window language to Japanese-English in 'Regional and Language Options' and it restart every time. There's any ways to set window...

Mystical Intelligence: [ 2 Answers ]

Speculation can be directed towards the Mayan civilization in Mexico. Only the magnificently decorated public buildings are left but are now being strangled by the forest at Angkor. Did the survivors of Atlantis, the lost continent, migrate east to Egypt to bring pyramids to the valley of the Nile...

First language literacy and second language litera [ 1 Answers ]

What are the differences between first language literacy and second language literacy?

View more questions Search