Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    betherenow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2007, 05:29 AM
    Child support after divorce
    I have been divorced for a year now and have two children. My ex ended up with custody of the children. I have visitations with the children staying with me. I am in public housing that includes my children on the lease. Plus am on food stamps that includes the children. I do work, but my income is tight with my bills I have to pay. I pay monthly payments on my car for which the account is still in my ex's name. My ex refuses to let me have this account in my name, but if I miss a payment, I lose my car! I don't even know how much is due on my car. The insurance and registration are both in my name. Now my ex is taking me to court for child support. Will the judge be able to help me out any on this car issue? I have saved most of my receipts. My biggest question is, How much support would be asked of me in my situation? Any input appreciated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2007, 08:13 AM
    The issue with the car should have been handled a year ago as part of the divorce settlement. And the judge can help you outif you file a motion and ask for him to turn over title of the car to you. But it is possible you would have to get a loan and pay the other loan off. Have you went and talked to the people that have the loan. And unless this is bought from a "buy here/ pay here" place, you don't lose it for one payment, you would have to get a couple payments behind before they repo the car.
    Now ifyou did not get the car at the divorce, and your ex is just letting you use it, it is different.

Next you are a criminal at this point and time, you do not have custody of your children but are using them to get public assistance, There are far to many people that really need assistance for someone to cheat the system, my tax money and other tax money is paying for you housing, and extra food stamps that you are getting illegal. ** this really makes me mad ( one of my really tough issues, those that are suppose to get help rightfully should get it,) maybe you are paying too much for the car, what are the other bills.

But if the other partner has custody, you are suppose to be paying child support, so expect to have to pay a couple hundred a month at least.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 5, 2007, 08:28 AM
    You need to consult an attorney. Chuck is right, you may be committing fraud by accepting public housing and food stamps for kids you don't have custody of. If you go to court for child support and this comes out, you could be in deep trouble.

As for the car, for the insurance and reg to be in your name, then the title has to be as well. Go to the DMV and get a copy of the title. Then go to the lender financing the car, show them you have title and that you have been making the payments and have the account switched to your name.

AS to how much support. No way for us to answer without seeing all the numbers.
    betherenow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 04:13 AM
    For your information, I am a full time worker and I did have joint custody of my children that qualified me to receive public housing as well as food stamps. Plus I have a child living with me that I am supporting myself 100%. Trying to make ends meet each month is difficult. I only have to pay $30 a month for child support for my two children not living with me. I am not a criminal in any way! Just trying to do all I can for my children and avoid the louses out there.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 12, 2007, 06:37 AM
    You answer changed a bit when you were challenged. So you only receive food stamps for one child? Or both, since one child visits you? Your story does not jive.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Yes, if you are claiming children that don't live with you, for food stamps or housing ( visits and child support does not count) this is fraud for the welfare system, you don't have to convince us, we don't really care, but just letting you know that if this comes up, they can deny you future claims for the fruad, kick you out of the housing, we are just warning you of what can happen if you are in violation of welfare and start taking others to court
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2007, 09:20 AM
    I am not a lawyer but I would imagine if you are taken to court for anything and they find out that you don't have the children in your custody that you will lose your assistance if it is tied to those kids.
    Also, keep in mind that if you don't have support in writing - the $30 p/m you pay now could be considered a "gift". Hopefully you haven't paid in cash and have really good records.
    If there is any way to try and consolidate your bills - I would try that. I am guessing that when you say if you miss a payment you lose the car - is that your ex will take the car back? Do you have anything in writing that says that you will make x amount of payments, etc?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 12, 2007, 12:48 PM
    To use public assisttance/housing and food stamps/for children who do not live with you is FRAUD.
    jverner Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

May 14, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by betherenow
    I have been divorced for a year now and have two children. My ex ended up with custody of the children. I have visitations with the children staying with me. I am in public housing that includes my children on the lease. Plus am on food stamps that includes the children. I do work, but my income is tight with my bills I have to pay. I pay monthly payments on my car for which the account is still in my ex's name. My ex refuses to let me have this account in my name, but if I miss a payment, I lose my car!! I don't even know how much is due on my car. The insurance and registration are both in my name. Now my ex is taking me to court for child support. Will the judge be able to help me out any on this car issue? I have saved most of my receipts. My biggest question is, How much support would be asked of me in my situation? Any input appreciated.
    It depends on where you are. Check out Information & Resources :: The Child Support Web :: Your Online Portal to Child Support Enforcement for info on your state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

No child support in year don't want ex to be involved with child. [ 3 Answers ]

My ex has not paid any child support in 1 year. I did not take him to court. I really don't want him to be involved with the child because he has uncontroled mental illness. What rights does he have? My new husband wants to adupt him well that be possible and how? Do I have any rights that well...

2 county's want child support for same child [ 1 Answers ]

In California, can two separate counties each make Someone pay for shild support at the same time? That's a double order for the same amount for the same child.

View more questions Search