Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcrr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2005, 08:22 AM
    Non resident alien student with both W2 and 1099-MISC reported income
    I'm a nonresident alien student (under an F-1 visa) and I had a campus job for which I got a wage reported in Box 2 of a W2 form. During the summer, I got a job for which I got a 1099-MISC form (reporting my income in Box 7). As far as I know, I should file a 1040NR form adding a Schedule C-EZ and a Schedule SE forms. When making all the calculations in these forms, I end up owing tax for my summer self-employment income, but I read in another thread that non-resident aliens do not pay self-employment tax, so I am confused and don't know if I'm having it all wrong. What is the way to report all this?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 8, 2005, 11:38 AM
    Jcrr:

That is correct. If you are a student under a F-1 visa, you are exempt from self-employment taxes. Do not prepare or file Schedule SE. Prepare the Schedule C/C-EZ, transfer the final income figure from the Schedule C to the approproate line on Form 1040NR, and file the Form 1040NR with the Schedule C as an attachment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form? [ 9 Answers ]

Please advise can an F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form and file taxes?

Resident? F-1 Student with 1099-MISC income [ 6 Answers ]

I realize this is probably a lot of information but I've been on the IRS website multiple times and CANNOT figure out whether I owe taxes: 1. I am currently on an F-1 visa for graduate school in Washington, D.C. - I arrived in the U.S. in Sept 97 on an F-1 visa for boarding high school....

1099 MISC income [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who is exercise instructor who also did some painting in our facility for a flat fee. Is the painting income reportable on Form 1099 and if so which box?

International student becoming resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA as international student (Ph.D) in 2001 August. Which year I can become a resident alien for tax purpose as a student. How is the calculation made? Thanks a lot.

F1 to H1b change Resident alien- Income in both [ 5 Answers ]

Hi , I was on F1/OPT till may 12 and then my H1b got approved. As such I have been on H1b for more than 183 days, and will require to fill out the regular 1040. However I was working during my OPT and was compensated for it too. But they did not withhold any taxes, Social Security or...

View more questions Search