Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clehner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 03:33 PM
    1880 Singer Sewing Machine
    I have inherited an 1880 Singer Sewing machine in mint condition. Just curious on its value.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2007, 03:59 PM
    How wonderful! I have the very first electric Singer sewing machine in mint condition. :) There is a book on Amazon called "The Encyclopedia of Early American & Antique Sewing Machines: Identification and Values" that isn't extremely expensive that you might want to buy... or see if they have it in your local library!

Here is a site I found Antique Buyer that may be of interest to you as well. They seem to be very up on sewing machines. There are a lot of photos and some great information.

Hope this helps!

Hugs, Didi
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2007, 04:01 PM
    You may want to check out places like eBay, but you are looking at 200 to 600 dollars.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 4, 2007, 10:26 PM
    I think that it's great that you have inherited a Singer sewing machine of that early era in the manufacturing of them! It is probably very beautiful!

Since you say that you inherited it, then I am going to proceed under the assumption that you really inherited it from a relative and say, not some neighbor or someone who is not related just giving it to you.

Don't have a possible price for you. Good suggestions above. But, the fact that it is something that has been in your family for a very long time makes it priceless.

A lot of people will say that the old machines don't have much value because they keep appearing in yard and garage sales, etc.

However, some of the machines from the early era of them can be quite beautiful in the artwork on the machines themselves and also in the cabinetry work.

They can make a nice display in the home if you get creative and put some things around them that are also from the same era from when they were made. They can become great conversation pieces then.

In my home, almost every piece of furniture has a story behind it. Either have a long history in my family or, there was an unusual way in which I acquired them.

Your machine already has a sentimental value to you because of it's history in your family. Whether it has much monetary value depends on its condition, beauty and what someone would want to pay for it.

If it were mine, and had belonged to one of my relatives, like parents, grandparents or great-grandparents, etc. then I would want to hang on to it, for myself, and also for my children. I'm hoping that isn't a question in your case.

Just a tip. If the machine is on a stand that is made of cast iron, which it almost certainly is, please be very careful when moving it so that it doesn't get dropped. The cast iron does break very easily. That's how we lost a very old family sewing machine. I was the one who dropped it on the cement outdoors!
    bhfinds Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2007, 07:29 PM
    I sold a 1883 Singer sewing machine, with a Coffin top, that covered the machine on top, instead of it dropping down into the cabinet, for 530.00. It was in very good condition, with 6 side drawers. Hope this helps, bhfinds
    bhfinds Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2007, 07:34 PM
    bhfinds again. I agree with some of the others. If it is a family piece, try to hang on to it. These are what memories are made of. I bought mine at an auction for 150.00, sold it on eBay for 530.00, sent it through a shipper that boxed it, which dropped something on it bad enough to break the machine in half, along with the cast iron legs, and that is one less treadle machine in the world. I was sick about it, and so was the buyer. So, treasure it, it is priceless. Thanks, bhfinds
    nour1113 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 11:58 AM
    I have a singer sewing machine model 1880 I went so sale it in 200,000 dollas and it be solded and if it's helpful plzz call me I am in lebanon and my noumber telephone 0096170739680 and my 2email is [email protected] and when you won't to see the picture OK machine plzz see it in Google with singer sewing machine 1880...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewing machine [ 3 Answers ]

I have a singer model 457 I can not get the needle to pick up bobbin thread

Singer Sewing Machine V-Series [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am wondering if anyone can tell me roughly how much my singer sewing machine is worth. It is a V-Series, which was prior to the F-Series-that one was manufactured in 1910-1920. I am waiting for singer to get back to me with a dating on the series number, however, they cannot actually value...

Singer Sewing Machine [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Singer Sewing Machine that belonged to my God-Mother the serial number off the machine is: 1172500A. Does this machine have any value?

Singer sewing machines [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 1919 singer and a 1932 singer any idea of a price for these items both in working order , one in in a cabinet

Singer Sewing machine bobbin won't pick up? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife was sewing and needle broke and she installed a new needle and machine wouldn't pick up thread! It is Model # 457 made in and about 1969. Please help? Thanks, CL

View more questions Search