Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honeysucklebird2418 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 12:42 PM
    How to keep a Dance Count going on?
    Hey I have another question I know that when you do a proper dance that you have counts going on in your head but I don't really understand a whole lot about keeping the counting on. I need to know if there is some kind of trick or advice that someone could give me? I really just go by the beats in music to do dance moves because I love the rhythm going on when I follow it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 4, 2007, 02:03 PM
    Snapping my fingers always works for me, and the rythym of my body to the music. If you really like dancing, the rythym is always in you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Counting in dance is very important when you are supposed to be making certain moves on certain counts. For one example, doing a dance routine with others in a musical.

If you practice the counting out loud when you dance, then after awhile, it should follow suit that you will be able to do it just in your head.
    persainpapaya Posts: 58, Reputation: 21

May 7, 2007, 10:48 PM
    In my dance classes we always used an eight-count. I can still hear my teacher at the beginning of the dance routine " And five, six, seven, eight!" It does depend on if your listening to music with a four or three count beat. My husband is from Mexico, and almost all the songs he listens to have a three count (which is what makes it sound like circus music to us here in the United States), because all of our music here, has a four count. Hope this helps. Happy dancing!!
    dkmar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 12:48 PM
    I also have a major headache on COUNTING. For example, a Rumba dance music has 4 beats, but how do I know where is the 1 or how to get to the 5, 6, 7, 8.
    Any one has experiece how to overcome this problem? Or any video, help site for this issue.
    Thanks so much
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 21, 2009, 07:10 PM

Counting is very important but some people have trouble with this. I am one of those people. I would get mixed up and lose count and lose my step. I just rely on the rhythm and the beat of the music. I feel the music. There are lots of people that dance this way so don't feel bad. You'll dance great! :)

Check out this vid for Rumba counting.

Click Here: YouTube - Rumba Line Dance to Count
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 21, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Counting in dance is very important when you are supposed to be making certain moves on certain counts. For one example, doing a dance routine with others in a musical.

If you practice the counting out loud when you dance, then after awhile, it should follow suit that you will be able to do it just in your head.
    Great tips!! :)
    wildhog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2012, 12:50 PM
    Oh boy though not a Rumba expert I do teach it and love the dance. I have taught thousands of dance classes. I have always counted as I was taught that way.I had 2 hundred Instructors and they all counted. I must have counted 5678 300,000 times in class. Over 20 years. The 1 is the down beat in Rumba using American music. It is twice as long as the upbeats. So its slow quick quick same as my Night club twostep. Often times I intigrate these 2 dances to one song. Breaks it up real nice. Letting you know I can't stand to dance with women that don't count. They are constantly leaving out steps or adding steps. Then I have to make corrections.Many times counting tells you what to do and Its not that hard. Once you leave a parnter that is not counting they are totally lost. I do this to encouage counting, usually doesn't work. Their heads are very hard. Keep counting after all ,I can do it.
    wildhog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2012, 01:01 PM
    One of my friends use to say begineers make mistakes, advance dancers syncopate. Just means dancing off the beat. He was one of my first instructors. In couples its OK to get off beat but its not OK to not be able to get back on. That's where counting comes in. You can abandon the count and pick it up again when you come back to your partner.Experience is the key.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2013, 02:52 PM
    I do Irish dance which is mostly done in counts of 8. This method works for me:

3,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and so on..

You start each set with the next consecutive number that way you can keep up with step changes or transitions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does Sincerity Count? [ 20 Answers ]

I have often heard some Christians say that sincerity doesn't count if it is based on innacurate knowledge and that such ignorance can lead to ultimate destruction at the hands of God. I disagree with this concept. Do you? They cite the following scripture to support their conclusion. Romans...

Does his in come count? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex has filed for a review of the child support. She has now remarried and I was wondering if she had to list his income on the financial affidavit?:confused:

Sperm count [ 1 Answers ]

What's the age for a mans sperm count to go lower or having a slimmer chance of having kids

DDR Dance Dance Revolution question [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question regarding DDR but first let me set the stage for my knowledge and expectations. First, I'm no gamer by ANY stretch of the imagination. I played Zork in College and once in a blue moon I'll play frogger. But if I'm interested in something I usually try not to let cost get in...

View more questions Search