Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhibbs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Transferring data from old hard drive.
    My old Gateway Notebook running Windows XP died (the power supply went and the computer won't power up). I bought a new HP notebook running Windows Vista. I'd like to recover some of my data and files from my old computer (and possibly reformat the hard drive so that I can at least sell the computer for parts). I purchased a 2.5" external hard drive case with a USB cable. Although my new computer recognizes the device when I plug it in, the computer doesn't assign it a drive letter. How can I access the data and files on my old computer hard drive?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2007, 12:44 PM
    You may have to mount the drive first. Check the instructions that came with the enclosure.
    RSM Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

May 8, 2007, 03:00 AM
    It may be that Windows has not assigned the drive a letter.
    Right click on "My Computer"
    Left click on "Manage"
    On the left hand side of the window is a list of options.
    Click on "disk management"
    In the Computer Management Window check to see if the drive is there AND
    Has a letter assigned to it.
    If there is no letter assignation, right click on the drive either on the list or on the graphic display at the bottom
    Left click on "change drive letters and paths"
    I believe the next step is to click on "add"
    After assigning a letter, exit out and see if your USB drive is visible in "My Computer"
    You may want to reboot if it is still not there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive not showing up. Has data on it [ 1 Answers ]

Can Anyone help, my computers just come back from the shop, they put in a new power supply, I get home and my second hard drive isn't showing up, it shows up in device manager but not my computer. Please help

Dead Hard Drive: Data Recovery Questions [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 that is less than a year old. Last week I got the error "Unmountable Boot Volume" and after calling Dell tech support I was told my hard drive was dead. A Dell tech came and put a new hard drive in my computer Monday and left the old hard drive with me so I could...

Transferring hard drive to run as slave [ 5 Answers ]

OK my old computers mother board fried.. so I got another computer same intel celeron same emachines brand but they both r using same mother board go figure... so I was going to try to slavage the information on the old hard drive and yes the computer recignises it perfectly fine shows up on my...

Hard Drive problem - crashed and trying to recover data [ 10 Answers ]

G'day All, I'm having a hard drive problem. My hard drive crashed I've bought a new one have loaded up windows xp pro tried connected my old drive (making a clunking noise) as a slave drive and my computer just hangs at the XP pro openning window and does not advance. If I disconnect the slave win...

Hard Drive Data Recovery Freezing [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I have had an unfortunate incident. I woke up Sunday morning to find my main workstation PC with a blank screens and a cursor on the upper left. Fun. From the blue screen it appears that the boot sector somehow decided to go bad. I'll spare you all the details of the 12 hours I have...

View more questions Search