Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reweb Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2005, 11:52 PM
    Installing a toilet in concrete slab
    Hello, This is a great forum. I was wondering if you could offer me some advice?

I am converting part of my garage into a bathroom. I will be busting up the concrete and running a new 3'' pipe for the toilet. My question is regarding the vent. How far away can I be really? There is an existing 2'' vent about 7 feet from where the toilet is going in. I would need to come up off the waste line to the ceiling and then go over seven feet to tie into the existing vent. A sink and the shower will use the existing vent and the existing drain line as well. It was for a washer...

I really don't want to put in a new 2'' vent! I do want the toilet to flush well though of course! This is not going to have an inspection... Also, Can I put the toilet in without a cleanout? The new 3" waste line will travel about 20 feet at 1/4 inch per foot slope and tie into the existing stack that does have a cleanout.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks in advance for any help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2005, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by reweb
    Hello, This is a great forum. I was wondering if you could offer me some advice?

I am converting part of my garage into a bathroom. I will be busting up the concrete and running a new 3'' pipe for the toilet. My question is regarding the vent. How far away can I be really? There is an existing 2'' vent about 7 feet from where the toilet is going in. I would need to come up off the waste line to the ceiling and then go over seven feet to tie into the existing vent. A sink and the shower will use the existing vent and the existing drain line as well. It was for a washer...

I really don't want to put in a new 2'' vent! I do want the toilet to flush well though of course! This is not going to have an inspection...Also, Can I put the toilet in without a cleanout? The new 3" waste line will travel about 20 feet at 1/4 inch per foot slope and tie into the existing stack that does have a cleanout.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks in advance for any help.
    If the washer line and existing vent are tied into the 3" drain line then you are already vented for the toilet. Tie the shower drain into the lavatory drain and the shower is wet vented also. This should complete venting for the entire bathroom group.
    Good luck, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2005, 07:15 AM
    Nobody ever regretted installing a cleanout. On the other hand, if the toilet has an angle stop at it, shut it off, undo the compression fitting, remove the 2 nuts on the flange bolts, and pull the toilet off. With a new wax ring, it goes right back together once the drain is clear.

Apr 8, 2005, 09:29 AM
    Thanks for the help. Actually I was planning (if possible) to not tie the sink and shower into the new 3'' pipe. They are located across the room and that would require a lot more concrete busting. The shower and sink can use the existing 2'' waste that was for a washer.

I am trying to use a new 3" waste for toilet but take advantage of the 2'' existing vent across the room. Would this work and how far away from the vent can I be really? My book seeems to indicate 6'... Can I push this? Is this a code thing or would it really not vent well? As I mentioned above, I would need to travel up from the waste line, (in the wall) to the ceiling ( 8') and then across (7') to tie in with the existing vent that goes through the roof shortly after I tie into it.

This should require the least amount of work if it is possible

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2005, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by reweb
    Thanks for the help. Actually I was planning (if possible) to not tie the sink and shower into the new 3'' pipe. They are located across the room and that would require a lot more concrete busting. The shower and sink can use the existing 2'' waste that was for a washer.

I am trying to use a new 3" waste for toilet but take advantage of the 2'' existing vent across the room. Would this work and how far away from the vent can I be really? My book seeems to indicate 6' ....Can I push this? Is this a code thing or would it really not vent well? As I mentioned above, I would need to travel up from the waste line, (in the wall) to the ceiling ( 8') and then across (7') to tie in with the existing vent that goes through the roof shortly after I tie into it.

This should require the least amount of work if it is possible

Thanks!!

You're going to like my reply. You may keep your lav and shower on the same drain line and vent. You may also revent the toilet back into it. However, (and here comes the part you're going to like) the 8 foot up and 7 foot over doesn't count for jack. The toilet vent begins where you tie into the 3" drain.
    You have options here, you may tie the vent into the 3" main or if it's handier to keep the vent tie in point close to a wall you may use a closet bend with a heel or side inlet and vent from that. Good luck, Tom

Apr 8, 2005, 11:14 AM
    Thanks Tom! That is good news. I appreciate the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak Under Concrete Slab [ 3 Answers ]

I found out that I have a water leak under my slab floor. Apparantely the leak is between the shutoff out in the yard and the meter(which is located in the hallway utility closet). I hear water gurgling in my ductwork which is also in the slab. Called local plumber and he says I'm looking at...

Pouring concrete slab outside garage [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I am replacing my garage door with a wall and 36" wide steel door to make it a main entrance to the house in the winter and also into a workshop area. It has been recommended that I pour a concrete slab across the front of the garage for the wall to sit on and have that slab just high...

Moving drain in custom shower, whirlpool tub and toilet on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab. My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill? I would...

Installing a bathtub on a concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a toilet in the basement with proper vent. I want to add a bathtub near the toilet. After I jackhammer up the concrete and install the tub trap and drainage into the toilet drain, how do I seal the floor under the tub? The outside part is open and it should be easy to pour concrete mix and...

Installing a bathtub on a concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a tub to existing plumbing, but it's on a concrete slab. We've jackhammered the concrete so that I have enough room underneath to put in the drain and p-trap, but am I going to have to buy the tub, set it in place, hook up the plumbing and then remove it to replace the concrete?

View more questions Search