Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 4, 2007, 08:51 AM
    Name Influence In voter ballots?
    Do names influence voters?
    Would people in the United States feel comfortable with a president called Obama?
    Isn't the name too close to the possible mispronounciation of "Obey me?" How much do you feel that names influence the presidential election choices here in the USA?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Hello Star:

There are a lot of people named John, Bill, Fred and Joe who won't like it. A lot of people don't like things to change. But, they do.

I don't think the name Obama is going to bother most people, certainly not like the name Bush does.

excon
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

May 5, 2007, 08:37 PM
    For the uniformed voter I think a name would have some influence. I think some people do make a prejudgment about people by there names. It's unfortunate, but I think it happens.
    dgfohio Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 11:07 AM
    Well let's see... Ted Kennedy drove drunk and drown an innocent woman in the back seat of his car. He hired someone to take an exam for him in college, and wasa expelled for doing so... and he keeps getting elected because of his last name. I have two words: Term Limits.

With Term Limits, name will mean less AND more regular people will get elected.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 02:08 PM
    There are some voters who go by name recognition only - do not pay attention to the news or the character, just the familiar name. Or the fact the person was elected six times before so that must he(or she) must be really good. Ha ha ha.. Good at covering their a** most likely.

Term limits would be wonderful. No one would be favored, everyone on the same level(theoretically speaking), and they would be done and out in the max of two terms.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2007, 03:38 PM
    If people are silly enough to be influenced and bothered by the name of a candidate then they
    Deserve what they get when the wrong guy gets elected.

The only problem with Term Limits from what I can see is that it doesn't give you the chance to kick someone out. I'm not completely familiar with the system in the US but wouldn't the people love the chance to kick Bush out of power, rather than him leave having served his 2 terms with the ability to say he was never ousted from power for his poor leadership?
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

May 19, 2007, 05:26 PM
    I dislike the american political system personally, I think it needs reworking.
    Even though I'm an Australian, I would support barrack obama, he seems to be a good potential leader who actual believes that change can be made. Id even vote for him if he ran down here in australia, howards getting senile.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 19, 2007, 11:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    If people are silly enough to be influenced and bothered by the name of a candidate then they
    deserve what they get when the wrong guy gets elected.

The only problem with Term Limits from what i can see is that it doesnt give you the chance to kick someone out. I'm not completely familiar with the system in the US but wouldnt the people love the chance to kick Bush out of power, rather than him leave having served his 2 terms with the ability to say he was never ousted from power for his poor leadership?

I agree. It's silly and they deserve what they get. I get the impression that Dukakis lost against Bush partially based on the perception of his name. About throwing Bush out, didn't they just have a chance to do this a little while back and they reelected him into office?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Government influence [ 13 Answers ]

When should a government be allowed to influence the public opinion?

Goverment's influence [ 1 Answers ]

To what extent should government attempt to influence public opinion

Government influence [ 1 Answers ]

To what extent should governments be able to influence the publics opinion?

Government influence [ 0 Answers ]

I need to know if there are any aspects of life that the government doesn't have influence over?

Influence on Government [ 1 Answers ]

Which has the most influence on government--the media, interest groups, or political parties? Why? In what ways? Which should have more influence? Why?

View more questions Search