Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notuhplumber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2005, 06:55 PM
    Raising a floor drain in concrete floor
    I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to raise the drain about an 1". Is there an adapter or extension I can add to fix this? Will I be able to have similar flush grate? The top of the drain is 5" diameter (4-3/4" flush grate with 3 screws) and the interior pipe is 3".
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2005, 08:57 PM
    Does the "old concrete" come into contact with the PVC? Where is it located? WIll it get really wet after the tile is installed??
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Apr 7, 2005, 10:14 PM
    Easy way to do it
    I don't know of an adapter. You would probably have to know the manufacturer of the drain fitting you have. Short of that an easy way to do it is get a piece of pipe as close to the same diameter of your drain pipe where the screws go. A little larger if you have to, about 1" high less the thickness of your tile (that is your desired end height right?) Then your ready to pour or lay your mortar bed. Just get the right length of screws and screw your same drain grid down. You could get some residual water under the cement when you run the shower but since you have that steep grade I think you will be all right, just be sure to keep it nice and clear. In other words when all is said and done and if the shower starts to back up, take care of it right away by snaking the drain clear. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron shower drain in concrete floor-replacement [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post here and I'd appreciate any help you can provide. I have a tiled shower on a concrete slab. The drain is cast iron... sort of a bowl-shaped 3" dia. opening with a lead seal to a 2"-2 1/4" cast iron pipe. In removing the old "Premier" pull-up drain stopper, the brass...

Concrete shower floor [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if a concrete shower floor is suitable. I hear it is not recommended even if it's sealed as it would erode in time.

Best concrete to use to level floor? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I covered a concrete patio and am now is used as a sunroom. The room is 10' by 10' and slopes 2". I would prefer to have a level floor. I see there are self leveling products but I don't think that is necessary as I can trowel concrete no problem. Is it OK to us basic concrete without...

Waste pipe in concrete floor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new home that we have a spare bathroom that was rouged in. The home is slab construction with no basement due to the geology/hydrology in our area. The question I have is this: I have a waste pipe for a future toilet sticking up out of the floor. It looks like it's made of lead. Is...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search