Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amit_alma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 11:43 PM
    About a virus
    HI
    This is Amit kumar from North India, actually my PC is suffring from a Virus called new folder or named like parent folder. Its size is 188 kb. It looks like a folder and when I try to open it it spreds in my c: (windows). And disable Task Manager and Folder option etc.
    All Anti viruses are unable to scan or remove it. I tried to remove it manuly but it's vain.
    I called it folder virus. I am very confused:

So, send me a perfect solution. I'm waiting for your Answer. Do it as soon as possible.
    Thanks.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 4, 2007, 01:09 AM
    I don't think that anyone here is going to be able to send you a perfect solution. Since no one here really knows your computer or what is on it. We can only suggest possible solutions.

What happened to me a number of years ago, was my computer started acting strangely. I suspected that it had a virus. I already had anti-virus software installed.

I knew about the date when things started to act strangely. I did a search for files as to when they had been modified or created around that date. Found some folders that were not associated with any programs in my computer. These folders kept getting bigger and bigger. The virus was literally filling my computer up with information that I did not need or want. What I did was I ERASED those folders. The problem then disappeared.

I did this with a program that is free. It is available from the following site. It is a safe program to download and use.

Eraser - Free secure data erase tool to wipe files on your hard drive

What I did concerning that virus may not work for all viruses. But, it is worth a try anyway.

If you choose to download ERASER, then what you need to do is right click on the folder that you think is the virus, and Erase should appear in the drop-down menu. Then left-click on Erase, and see what happens.
    ANETGames Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

May 5, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Well put Clough,

There is also several solutions you can take to re-enable your task manager, registry editor, and folder options. You may want to perform a Google search for tools that will do this for you. I think I have one laying around, but you have to be able to execute VBS files. The New Folder virus that you speak of is becoming quite common these days, just do a good search on manual removal instructions, as this virus is usually one of many hundreds of variants of the same thing.
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

May 19, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Hmm if it is an actual virus you could try both AVG and Zone Alarm Security Suite to remove it from your computer, it's just another annoying virus like the key punch virus or the funny faces photo viruses. I suggest you try both of this produces and see what happens.
    jocafer13 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2007, 05:26 AM
    What happens to the virus when you try to delete it? Does it say something like 'cannot be deleted'? I have a few solutions for this:

1.)First configure your folder option so that you can see all hidden files and to see whether that file has a HIDDEN backup file.
    2.)Next rename the virus file and it's backup(if it has any) and restart your computer, it should be disabled by then.
    3.)Now you can delete the virus file!

If this doesn't work then try and find out the target path of the virus(where the virus gets it's actual power from the true virus, if it has any) then do the same steps from above also including the true virus.

I also agree from the suggestions of the people above about deleting the existence of the virus from the registry but try and research more from the internet to prevent any complications and on how to locate the registry file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with Virus please [ 2 Answers ]

I got some kind of virus that closes any folder or web browers containing anti virus information. Any one know how I can install a anti virus program or identify this bug, everything I try is closed by the virus.

Possible virus... [ 3 Answers ]

I was running AVG anti-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem. So I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

Virus [ 4 Answers ]

I have trend Pcillin virus scanner which finds the follwing viruses : ADW_NCASE.A ADW_MIWAY WORM SOBER A These are shown as deleted but when I scan again they are still there When I do AVG virus scan - these do not show Helppppp please - are they there or not Thanks

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search