Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anamaria2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2005, 11:23 AM
    Change from F1 to Green CArd
    Hi,
    During 2004 I have changed my status from F1 to resident , because I had won the Visa Lotery.
    Since I cannot use the standard deduction, I was wondering If I can deduct the expenses I made to get the Gc? (the interview was abroad, so I had to fly , plus the fee itself. )
    Can somebody help me ?
    Thanks a lot.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2005, 07:09 PM
    Short answer: Yes, I think you can claim those expenses.

Long Answer: You may be considered dual-status; depends on when the Green Card became effective. Also, what country are you from? Certain countries (like India) can claim the Standard Deduction even when under dual status.
    anamaria2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2005, 09:05 AM
    Thank you for replying.
    I am not from India ;I am from Romania. Since the GC became effective in Feb 2004 I think I am a dual-status resident.
    Should I deduct the Gc expenses as moving expenses? It is kind of weird, cause I was a student in States already when I got the Gc, but I had to travel to Romania and back to get the GC
    Thanks a lot ,
    Anamaria
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2005, 12:05 PM
    Anamaria:

I believe you are a dual-status alien, which means you have to file Form 1040, with Form 1040NR attached as a statement. Refer to Chapter 6, IRS Pub 519 for details.

You can claim the expenses as itemized expenses associated with your job. Claiming the expenses as moving expenses is not a good idea because it appears that you did not change physical location in the United States.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green Hair! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I've had blonde hair for 5 years and I decided to try dying it to a dark brown - bad idea. I should have not used permanent dye:mad: . At first it looked okay and I started to like it but now its fading to a green hue. I think I want to go back to blonde again. Can I try dying it back to the...

Moving to US from canada on L visa - process of applying for EAD & green card? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, We are currently residing in canada as permanent residents for the past 1-1/2 yr. Recently my wife's company was acquired by a US firm who as a result of their decision to relocate operations to it's US headquarters, extended an offer to the whole operations department to move & relocate to DC...

Help! Green hue to hair! [ 2 Answers ]

I had blonde hair, tried to make it not so blonde with an ash colored home hair kit, not so good. Had a green hue afterwards, so I thought a darker ash/neutral blonde would work, nope. Just darker with a green hue. So I got a light golden brown, roots are the right color, but not the rest.I can't...

Marrige for Green Card [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know I've applied for immigration petion through my brother who is a citizen but I am engaged to get married to a US citizen also. Here is my ? If I get married will it afect the application that is ongoing with my brother?

View more questions Search