Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    litacres Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2005, 09:15 AM
    Searching for GOOD convection oven
    Hello to owners of fairly new ovens that have true convection roasting & baking. I recently bought a Kenmore free standing range (made by Frigidaire) that has a third unit & fan at the back of the oven for true convection roasting & baking. It does not bake evenly at all! I would like to hear from others who have ranges that DO bake evenly telling me the manufacturer & if possible, the model number. I'm hoping to trade my present range in for one that works correctly. The problem is, one doesn't know if it will brown 3 trays of cookies or whatever evenly, until you use it & then you're stuck with it. I'm hoping to circumvent that problem this time with help from you experienced & good cooks out there! Thank you.
    mgn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2005, 04:35 PM
    Have a Dynasty/jade oven
    Have a 5 burner dynasty (now owned by maytag- Jade oven)

If you are looking at "commercial grade" home ovens there are now some retail outlets that have ovens set up for you to try. You can bring your utensils and food in and cook... check the web sites and ask the stores near you if they have this service available.
    The Jade convection seems to work well but does heat in convection mode a bit unevenly... all stoves that are not dedicated pro industrial with large areas and large full coverage fans will likely exhibit uneven heating to some degree. Regular home multi purpose probably even more so... Being an engineer I used my infrared gun and found substantial differences front to back, top to bottom and side to side.

Your best bet is to get a larger (36") or more oven and to get to know the cooking characteristics. I also have an 800 degree portable refractory oven that was tested extensively and it had the same issues... I use an aluminum pizza spade with a medium handle to move things around knowing that different foods heat differently in different areas. Keeping the glass clean and having good light so you can really see what's going on is also helpful.

Good luck! :)
    litacres Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2005, 08:58 AM
    Thank you MGN!
    I will follow your suggestions about searching to find stoves which I can actually USE. I didn't know such places existed. Being an engineer, I value your input! Many thanks!!
    mgn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2005, 05:31 PM
    Glad to be of help.

Just another thought... most people go to the typical retail outlets to buy kitchen appliances and accessories. I usually go to the restaurant supply houses. I am in New England so I go to China town in Boston, In New York, the Bowery and other areas of lower manhattan where there are a lot of supply houses, and one of my favorites is a large warehouse a few blocks off 91 just south of hartford CT. Not only do supply houses have neat "stuff", but the prices are much more reasonable for better tools and other equipment. They are also a good source of info about "anything cooking related". Another source for really good matériel is Allied supply in the bronx.

If I can be of any further assistance you can email me directly at [email protected]

Good luck! Let me know what you end up getting!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Microwave oven [ 11 Answers ]

Can you tell me approximately how many amps a small microwave oven uses. I rent and my house has 15 amp circuits and my microwave keep tripping the circuit. My landlady told me my microwave uses too many amps. Can that be? Thanks so much for your help

New Gas Oven [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I'm switching from electric to gas oven. I have a gas furnace about 20 feet away from where the oven will be installed. They are both on the same floor. Could this be a DIY job or do you you sugest a pro? If DIY could sombody please give me detailed instructions or recommend someplace I...

Problem with Convection Oven Fan [ 2 Answers ]

The fan on my convection oven keeps running after the oven is off. Does anyone have this problem or a solution?

Searching for GOOD convection oven [ 1 Answers ]

Hello to owners of fairly new ovens that have true convection roasting & baking. I recently bought a Kenmore free standing range (made by Frigidaire) that has a third unit & fan at the back of the oven for true convection roasting & baking. It does not bake evenly at all! I would like to hear...

Convection [ 1 Answers ]

Here on earth, if heat rises and cold sinks, what happens in space where there is no (or at least less) gravity?

View more questions Search