Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tatgeer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2005, 08:42 PM
    Nut stuck on threads
    I'm trying to replace the J-joint in my basement laundry room sink, and the nut on the old piece broke - part of it is still on the pipe going to the sink. I've tried spraying it with WD40, but it won't budge. A friend suggested heating it. Any other ideas?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2005, 08:57 PM
    Few nuts can resist heating with a torch and quenching. On the other hand, neither can rubber or plastic parts. Wood often catches fire. Perhaps a hammer is safer. Wet the area with WD-40. It is as good as anything for getting things loose. Then tap around the nut. If you can get a punch on the end where it will tend to turn the nut loose, that should be very effective. Once the nut starts to turn, finish with a wrench if there is enough left of it. When you put things back together, clean up any threads you are reusing good with a wire brush.

It is better to use the hammer or torch before you break something.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Apr 6, 2005, 09:00 PM
    Take a cold chisel and hammer and smack-it. Or take a saw and cut off the parts of the pipe you don't want anymore then try to cut sections of the nut and knock them off with a hammer.

Or just try cutting the nut in different locations then hitting it or prying it. A small hacksaw or dremel tool would work.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 7, 2005, 05:28 AM
    Nuts 2 U 2
    Quote Originally Posted by tatgeer
    I'm trying to replace the J-joint in my basement laundry room sink, and the nut on the old piece broke - part of it is still on the pipe going to the sink. I've tried spraying it with WD40, but it won't budge. A friend suggested heating it. Any other ideas?

You describe a nut that's hung up on a tailpiece connected to the sink drain.
    If this were my call I would disconnect the tailpiece and the stubborn nut and toss them. I would then purchase a new tailpiece, nut and washer and reassemble the trap. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Threads [ 7 Answers ]

I'm an electrician and everyone says that electrical conduit threads are a straight thread, Our code says a 3/4" taper per ft which I have been told is the same as plumbing threads and that our electrical couplings are a straight thread, does any one know if plumbing threads are 3/4" taper. Thanks...

View more questions Search