Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omatisse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Sub-contractor / CONTRACTOR liability
    We Had Flooring Installed In Our Home. The Company Who We Bought The Flooring Promised The Flooring To Be Glued Down. Instead Their Sub-contracted Foreign Installers Drilled Through The Concrete. Water Is Now Shooting Up Through The Holes Like A Fountain.

The Company Told Us That The Damage Would Be Repaired And The Flooring Would Be Replaced. The Sent Someone Out To Assess The Damage, Remeasure Since They Lost My Paperwork, And Show Me New Flooring Since The Original One Was Discontinued.

When The Company Received The Contractor Quotes For The Damage, I Was Informed It Was My Problem And I Was To Deal With The Third Party Contractor.

After About A Week With No Answer From The Company Regarding The Sub-contractor Name, Insurance Co. Or Any Contact Information The Company Informed Me They Were Going To Deal With It Again. They Informed Me I Needed To Call My Insurance Company And Have Them Determine Who Was At Fault. So I Did. The Insurance Co. Determined The Strips Were Nailed/ Screwed Through The Floor.

I Informed The Company Of The Determination. At Which Point They Informed Me They Did Not Believe Their Salesman, My Insurance, Or The Contractors. They Needed Visual Proof.

So I Sent Them Photos Confirming The Tack Strips Were Drilled / Nailed, Not Glued. A New Representative Took Over My Claim . I Was Told I Was At A Stalemate With The Other Representatives.

He Informed Me He Would Send This Claim Again To His Legal Department And Again To The Sub-contractors Insurance Company. No One From Either Of The Insurance Company's Have Contacted Us.

So Where Do I Go From Here?

When Hiring Foreign Laborers As Sub-contractor Where Does The Liability Fall?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 08:30 AM
    The liability falls with the company that you contracted with. I am assuming that you received a certificate of insurance prior to the job? If not, do you now have the name of their insurance company? If I were you, I would ask my insurance company if they would intervene for you and speak with their insurance company directly. If your insurance company refuses to get involved, then I would speak with an attorney. Show him all the paperwork, all accompanying photos and write up a log of all the conversations. Ask him to send a legal letter to the original company demanding either full restitution, so you can hire someone else, or to correct the problem. If you don't want to hire an attorney, send the letter yourself, threatening them with legal action if they do not resolve the problem. Send the letter certified, return receipt requested. If it doesn't make them sit up and take notice, you may not have any recourse but to hire an attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a painting business and would like to know how to get jobs from general contractors . Also how to bid on them. I have my license and liability ins. And workers comp.

Independent Contractor? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I took on this part time job since last May and immediately they started paying me via Western Union and also Pay Pal. Never once did they ever discuss they'd be reporting wages, I always believed it was "under the table" money. They never had sign a W-9 or an independent Contractor form,...

New independent contractor [ 2 Answers ]

I just took 2nd job--as independent contractor. I don't want to end up having to pay at end of tax year (2006) so can someone tell me what I need to do to pay taxes throughout year out of each check I receive so I don't end up having to pay at the end of the year next year?? I'd rather do it on...

Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

This might be a silly question but here goes, I am a middle aged man wanting to start a painting business, a career change if you will? But do I need some kind of contractors license to do this? I paint fantastic and pretty good in faux painting. How would I get by without getting sued for being a...

Sub-contractor liability [ 3 Answers ]

I am a resident of Michigan,and am a sub-contractor for a limo company. I am curious about a situation that happened to two other employees one was hit by a stolen car and was charged by our boss the deductible for the damage.the other guy hit a barrier and is being charged for all the repairs to...

View more questions Search