Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Taniahobbit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2007, 09:18 PM
    Statistics
    I need help with these two 2nd year university statistics problem:

Q.1 Let the discrete random variable of Y have a conditional uniform probability distribution on {1,2,. x}; ie:
    P(Y=y|X=x)=1/x, y=1,2,. x.
    Determine the unconditional mean and variance of Y in terms of the mean and variance of the conditioning random variable X.

Q.2 Let the random variable Y have a conditional Poisson distribution, for x>0:
    P(Y=y|X=x)=x^ye^(-x)/y!; y=0,1,2,. infinity
    so that the conditional mean E(Y|X=x) and conditional variance Var (Y|X=x) are both equal to x. If X is equal to z1 with probability 1-p or z2 with probability p, determine the unconditional mean and variance of Y, and the actual probability distribution of Y.

Thanks,
    Tania
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 3, 2007, 03:05 AM
    How do you need help with the problems? What do you think the answers should be? And, how did you arrive at the answers? Please see the following link.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...board-b-u.html
    Taniahobbit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 03:25 PM
    I just don't know how to start these questions. How do I find the mean and variance?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Statistics [ 2 Answers ]

I have two questions that I just can't figure out correctly. 1. If x-bar is 4.725 and R-bar is 0.0096, and n=4, then the UCL sub R and LCL sub R are? A. 0 and 0.022 B. 0.022 and 0 C. 0.563 and 0.563 D. 0.022 and 1.00 2 If x-bar is 4.725 and R-bar is 0.0096, and n=4, then the UCL sub x-bar...

View more questions Search