Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thesongdiva Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Housetrained dog pooped in house!
    My year old Border Collie mix has been completely houstrained for more than seven months. We recently got a new German Shepherd puppy. Last night and tonight, my older dog pooped right in my dining room. WHY?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 2, 2007, 08:33 PM
    There is no doubt in my mind it was a deliberate showing of who is who. It may have been meant for you or the puppy. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position

See the sticky for help with the puppy, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2007, 09:26 PM
    While it is not unusual for a dog to have an occasional 'accident' for the first year or so after they are housetrained, I have to agree with labman that this seems to be a behavioral thing. The Border Collie could be saying to you "I don't like you bringing this new puppy into the home!" and to the puppy "This is MY house, and don't you forget it!".

For immediate help, I think you should crate both dogs at night. This will help the Border Collie feel a little more secure, will control the "pooping" issue and will let both dogs know that YOU are in charge. I personally think it will wear off quickly as the dogs establish their pecking order in the home.

Good luck!

Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog, 1 yr old, not well house trained.. Need help! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My boyfriend inherited a chow mix dog from his brother because he and his wife had a daughter, and the dog, Gizmo is too hyper and jumpy to have around a baby. The problem is, she was never properly house trained, and now my boyfriend is suffering. She is usually good about letting him...

Washer Pooped [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: My washer does not spin or agitate, but it seems to fill fine. I heard this could be a belt or a motor, any input?

Puppy Hasn't Pooped! [ 3 Answers ]

We just brought home a Toy Rat Terrier (born 11/7/05). We have had him almost 24 hours and he hasn't pooped yet. He has peed many times and he has eaten. He does have a little cold and is taking amoxicillain. He seems alert and active. Should I be worried that he hasn't pooped yet? He has...

Is my dog house trained [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am confused, I think my recently one year old pom is house trained. She barks and runs to her spot when she wan't to go out most of the time she goes after sniffing every inch of the ground or barking at people or leaves. Recently ( the past two months) she has been going in the house it is...

House training dog [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 3 year old dog, Dalmation/Border Collie mix. He has been an outside dog all his life, we want to bring him inside. What is the best way to house train this dog? Thank you.

View more questions Search