Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2005, 09:01 AM
    Wiring prob? - compressor won't kick on
    I had some work done by a repairman last fall because my pilot would not light. He said it was a wire that came loose and fixed it. Now, my compressor won't come on. Blower comes on fine. Based on some other concerns with this repairman and the previous problem, I suspect wiring. Plus, there is a green wire hanging loose that was obviously crimped onto a connection previously.

Pics of my transformer wiring:
    http://www.hqgear.com/images/115_1508.jpg

Pics of my thermostat wiring:
    http://www.hqgear.com/images/115_1510.jpg

Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated.

Mike
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2005, 06:44 PM
    Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. It may be wired to have the control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan.

Your thermostat follows this convention. It has the Elbe wire it should have for all but simple, dumb switching only. The transformer is a little different. I think the other secondary contact which usually has the blue wire connected to it is the one on the upper right with the one white and black wires connected to it. You need a pair of wires going to the coil of the compressor relay. Often they are yellow and blue. One needs to connect to the Y terminal at the thermostat. Often a yellow wire runs back from it to a terminal block at the furnace, maybe the Y terminal on the transformer. If that loose green wire runs to the compressor along with another wire, likely just connect it to the Y terminal on the transformer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central Air Compressor Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

My Compressor Quit Working A Few Months Back. The A/c/ Repair Guy Stripped The Burnt Wire On The Compressor And Added A New Wire It Worked Ok. I Called Another Company For My Yearly Service He Said The Wire Was Burn . He Pulled All Of The Wires Lose And Left. The Unit Is A Bryant That Says 1982...

Kenmore refrigerator compressor wiring [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Kenmore refrigerator model 106.50599000. I just order a new harness and original capacitor for it. The problem I have is the technician my brother hired before cut the original wiring and put in some replacement capacitor that connect to the compressor. And now the evaporator fan is...

A/c compressor won't kick in [ 4 Answers ]

I have a window a/c unit with a compressor that won't kick in. I took the unit apart and noticed the control wire on the compressor looked burnt and corroded. I took the wire off and put a new connector on, but still no go. I noticed however when I left the control wire disconnected I could hear...

Weed eater ate my wiring to my central air compressor. [ 3 Answers ]

Need some help. I was weed eating around my outside coils and compressor when my weed eater cut the wire that runs from the 24 volt transformer inside. I connected the wiring back and now my air won’t come on. I have a Trane XE 60 furnace. I tried connecting “R” “Y” to see if the compressor would...

When does starvation/ mode kick in [ 1 Answers ]

So Im trying to maximize my excersize time and put off eating until after exercising. I don't want my body going into the starvation mode how do I balance this? I often get interupted after 15/ 20 of low impact and sometimes don't get to finish of big with some explosive weight lifting or...

View more questions Search