Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pvsunil Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2005, 02:57 AM
    Serial Numbering of Records
    I have a query based on a table with the fields such as firstname and lastname. I am running a report which list down all the records. But I want to print a row number / serial number as first column in the report.

Sample

SL. No. FirstName LastName

1. Sam Noel
    2. Manz Nishad
    3. Prav Jeevan

Please note that this SL.No is not a bound column to database. This has to be generated while running the report.

Any idea guys? Please reply.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 6, 2005, 05:34 AM
    What platform are you working in? That's a key piece of info.

Apr 6, 2005, 06:05 AM
    Found the solution
    I was using MS Access 2000 on windows 2000.

I got the solution and it can be done this way.

Insert text box in detail portion of the report and in the properties of the textbox in Data Tab make the Control Source as '=1' and then Change the Running sum as 'overall'.

It works!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 6, 2005, 09:25 AM
    Yep there is a Microsoft article about doing "running sums" that can be used to do what you want. Had you mentioned what platform you were using in the original note, I would have pointed you towards that solution.

The point being that you should always include certain pieces of info when asking a question. If asking about using a piece of software give the software name and version. Its always a good idea to include OS version. When asking about hardware give the brand and model. Its usually best to err on the side of too much info then not enough.

Apr 6, 2005, 10:26 PM
    Re :
    Hi ScottGem,

Didn't include the platform which I was working on while posting the thread. Sorry for that. Will include in future while posting. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sequential numbering in Excel [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to number a column in sequential order by counting the number of times a certain word is typed in another range. For example: AAA 1 BBB 1 AAA 2 AAA 3 CCC 1 I need the numbers to be in sequence in column B:B every time a word is typed multiple times in column A:A.

Serial killers making money off their crimes [ 5 Answers ]

I'm doing a study on serial killers, and I'm wondering if there are any federal laws preventing serial killers from making profit off their crimes. I would also like to know how many of all murders in the US are "separate" incindents, and how many of all murders in the US are to be considered...

Serial Mouse Detection Problems [ 4 Answers ]

I recently formatted and upgraded a Pentium I Gateway Computer to Windows 98. I attached a serial mouse to it-but I keep getting this error message that tells me no mouse is dectected. I must either restart if I have a PS/2 mouse or I may safely attach a serial mouse then. The mouse is already...

View more questions Search