Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iowemoney Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Should I contact the number and try and make payment plans
    The paper I received looks like a court document but it's from the Debt collector because I called the number on the paper which is a law office. When you call it says that they are by law requierd to mention that they are a Debt collection agency. Now the paper says I have to show up in 20 if the paper was given to me. But the paper was taped to the outside door of my building apartment. Im just so nervous because I don't want to go to court but I don't want to get into deeper trouble and it's only 1,143 but including their fees it went up to 1400. I am trying to call up this office to see if I can make a payment plan with them instead of having to show up to court is this possible
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 2, 2007, 12:33 PM
    If the paper does not list a court, then this is a scare tactic. They haven't filed suit. So you can attempt to negotiate a settlement. Offer between 50-75% of the amount owed.

May 2, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Well I does say I am summoned to appear in the civil court of the city of New York, county of Queens the office of the court clerk at 89-17 sutphin blvd which is a court in queens it has a date of 4/23/07 but it was tapped to my door on 4/26/07 I'm so nervous I don't know what to do

I can struggle and make payments but not pay it all at once
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 2, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Do you owe the money and how long has it been since you made your last payment if ever? Don't be so nervous, that's what most collection agencies want.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 2, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Sounds like you are suppose to show up in court, if he names the speific court, their address and when to be there.

Now this may not have been legal service, but if he process server turned this in this in as a legal serve, the court will be working on the assumption youwere served

May 2, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Well I do owe capital one money it's about $1,169 dollars but on the paper they say it's 2nd cause of action: reasonable attorneys fees agreed upon up to 20% provided by law of 233.88 making total due of 1403.030 on all causes of action. The crazy thing is that I owe Bank Of America $10,000 and with late fees and all that it went up to 14,000 and I'm sure they have been calling me but I hope and pray they also don't send me a summons or sue me. I have a 2bedroom apt with my boyfriend and we can barely make ends meet now I don't know what to do should I call them up too and make a payment plan ask them to stop chargine me finance charges or something like that I'm so screwed up I don't know what to do.

May 2, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Sounds like you are suppose to show up in court, if he names the speific court, thier address and when to be there.

Now this may not have been legal service, but if he process server turned this in this in as a legal serve, the court will be working on the assumption youwere served

It gives the address and all of the court so I guess I should ask my boss for the day off and show up or should I try and contact them again?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 2, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Wasn't your court date last week?

May 2, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Ok I just got off the phone with the lady handling my account she said if I can pay a lump sum of 950 they would take that and close the account. But I don't have that money I told her I can do a payment plan so we settled that by the end of the month I have to pay $400 in order for the to stop the legal actions, she said that she will try and see if they can take off the legal fees which is 200 something dollars and stop the finance or something like that. She was very nice and I am glad I don't have to take off and go to court I think I will pick up the next credit collector that calls me so they won't do the same thing they might not be as nice or willing to take a payment plan. She said after the 400 I can make a monthly plan pay by phone they don't have a fee. Thanks everyone for all your help

May 2, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Wasn't your court date last week?

The paper was put outside my door on 4/27 and it said 20 days to respond but I just got off the phone with them

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yahoo Company Contact Number [ 1 Answers ]

Can anybody give me Yahoo Support Telephone Number?

Can't make settlement payment. [ 4 Answers ]

Starting around October of last year I ran into some major money problems and fell behind on everything. At first I did the wrong thing and hid from the creditors because I was broke and didn't know what to do. At the beginning of this year I got back on my feet a little and started contacting my...

Should I make contact? [ 3 Answers ]

I would apprecaite your help with someone. Four years ago I worked with this guy who was the most amazing person I ever met. I worked with him for approx 14 months anf then I moved onto another job in a different part of the UK. Myself and L got on so well, we just clicked so much so that people at...

Need contact number [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I want to know the contact no of below describe destination NIRALA RESORT DEULTI INDIA WEST BENGAL

When do I make contact? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey all! First off! Yay for me. Cause as some off you know I've hade a problem with my ex... But last night I meet a girl at the club and had a great time sleep over at her place but no sex. And I didn't think anything at all about my ex... witch is a big step for me :) So now for this new...

View more questions Search