Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jones2cm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2005, 04:10 PM
    Leaking of drain from shower drain
    I noticed that my shower drain was leaking under house. I don't know much about plumbing but want to know what could cause this and how it can be fixed. Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2005, 06:16 PM
    You have to identify exactly where it is leaking. Start by pouring water down the drain and trying to see the highest point water comes out. If water doesn't leak out when you pour it down the drain, try throwing it on the side. If that makes it leak, it may be bad grout in the tile, or a bad seal between the side and pan at the bottom. Try that, and post back. If it is the drain pipe, let us know black, white plastic, copper, etc.
    jones2cm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2005, 07:16 PM
    Leaking of drain
    It is draining from underneath tub the pipe is pvc it looks like from under house it is coming from the top right under neath the drain below the house. When you let the drain go to empty water out of tub it comes out of pipe asif you were pouring it. The tub drains really slow as if it were clogged if that may help. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 6, 2005, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jones2cm
    it is draining from underneath tub the pipe is pvc it looks like from under house it is coming from the top right under neath the drain below the house. when you let the drain go to empty water out of tub it comes out of pipe asif you were pouring it. The tub drains really slow as if it were clogged if that may help. thanks
    Tub drains clog up with hair and the grease from soap and must be cleaned,(snaked) out occasionally. This is done from the tub waste and overflow and not the tub drain itself. First clear the drain and then tell us exactly the fitting it's leaking out of. The trap? Connection to the trap? Tub drain? I need you to be more specific. If you plan on doing the work yourself and need instructions on how to snake a tub drain, click on back. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking shower drain/pipes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. This looks to be a great forum! I'm glad my search pulled it up. I have a 2nd story shower leak. Directly below the shower is the laundry room and has the furnace ducts/furnace directly below. I've already decided I'll have to remove the ducts and open the ceiling to see what is...

After a remodel shower drain is leaking [ 3 Answers ]

I remodelled my bathroom and now it appears that the shower drain is leaking. I remodelled the shower with a product called syn-mar. A base with shower walls and used a Danze faucet and drain. My first question is I didn't use plumbers putty, instead I used Sicone when installing the drain, Could...

Tile floor shower drain leaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 65 year-old Spanish style house and I have a Tile floor shower drain leaking problem. When I apply silicon around the connection of drain and tile, it temporally stop the leak, however. A couple of weeks later, it leaks again. Any advise or recommendation of a handyman will be greatly...

Shower drain leaking [ 3 Answers ]

When I was starting shower upstairs then there was a leaking in garage ceiling. So I ripped the garage ceiling and found out that there is small brass pipe which connect to shower pipe and other pipe. This small pipe joint with shower drain pipe is leaking. I called the plumber he told me that he...

Shower Drain, leaking connection [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Shower stall started leaking on second floor. Ran water directly into drain with hose from outlet with no leak, so I figure that leaves only the drain connection as the leaking place. Took the drain cover off and found the "plastic" drain pipe and one-piece shower stall in good...

View more questions Search