Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rbrighin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2005, 02:00 PM
    Live in NY; Work for USPS in NJ Office
    My son is a New York City resident who works for the Postal Service in a NJ branch. USPS deducts Federal, but no State or local taxes.

He has electronically filed Federal Form 1040 and received a small refund.
    Gross Income: $35,000 Filing Status is Single

He also electronically filed the NYS IT-201 and (surprise) owes NY state and local city taxes. He expected this and is prepared to send a check by April 15.

My questions:
    Does he need to file a NJ non-resident form? What form would this be?
    Would he pay NJ tax, as well as NY state and local?
    Can he receive credit with NJ for taxes paid to NY? If so, how? (Is this what you mean when you say that NY gives a credit for payment of NJ taxes by NY residents?)
    Will his IT-201 need to be adjusted and re-filed?

I've seen on other threads that both states would want each other's filings. Being that he has already filed NY state electronically, can he still submit to New York a copy of his non-resident NJ form?

Thank you for any information you can provide to enlighten us both. He used an online tax website (for free), and this issue never came up - I DO NOT trust online websites for tax preparation!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2005, 06:42 PM
    Rbrighin:

He needs to file a NJ non-resident tax return (Form NJ-1040NR). New Jersey will not give any credits for taxes paid in New York. Attaching a copy of the NY return is not required, but it could not hurt.

Assuming he did not claim the NJ taxes paid on Form IT-112-R, he will need to amend his NY state return using Form IT-201X. By claiming the taxes he paid to NJ, his taxes owed status may change to a refund. You will have to provide a copy of the NJ non-resident tax return (Form NJ-1040NR).

All this needs to be done with paper. Tax websites do not do multi-state returns well at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in NY work in NJ [ 5 Answers ]

This is the reverse of some recent questions. I was transferred to a NJ office supposedly on a temporary basis. It was recently made permanent. Because of the temporary nature, they never changed my withholding and still haven't contacted me about doing so. So, right now, I only have NYS...

Live in NJ... Work in NYC [ 1 Answers ]

I am married, currently own a home in New Jersey and am looking for work in NYC. I will be commuting to NYC via the train so I will maintain residency in NJ. My questions are, on my paycheck, what will be deducted? How will my year end taxes be affected if I file multistate? Let's say I make...

Live in NJ work in NYC [ 3 Answers ]

Thinking of moving to NJ from NYC. What would the tax implication be? Higher/Lower? Currently I'm paying NY State and NYC resident, around $300 biweekly. How will the taxes be computed once I tell my employer that I moved to NJ? Thank You.

Live in NYC work in NJ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in NYC and work in NJ. My gross wages were only 8400$ and I am married. I paid taxes to NJ. I need to know who do I have to file to , meaning 1.Federal 2.NJ and 3.NY ? And if so because I earned so little I understand I will receive most if not all of the taxes I paid back. But...

Work in NJ live in NYC [ 1 Answers ]

I work in NJ but live in NYC. I am confused over what forms I need to fill out. I believe I have made an error in that I have filed NJ state tax using the over the phone service. Now I am told that I should have filed as a nonresident in NJ which would have gotten me all of my NJ withheld tax...

View more questions Search