Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    megan1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2005, 10:45 AM
    Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support?
    I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame needs to pass, during which he is willfully uninvolved, before he is considered to have abandoned his child? If he decides to be involved past this time frame, does he regain any legal rights? If his rights are considered terminated, is he liable for any child support? And if he starts to pay child support after he has terminated his rights through abandonment, does he then regain legal rights? Do I have a time frame in which to start proceedings regarding child support? Thank you.
    jennifer1205 Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Apr 7, 2005, 01:55 AM
    To avoid any future arguments, get him to take a paternity test when your baby is born... just for his information. Then when it proves that your baby is his, you have every right to take him for all he's worth. Take him to court and demand child support. This is his baby. You didn't get like this by yourself. If you don't want to do this, then maybe you should talk to his mother and see if she can't talk some sense into him. He needs to realize that life ain't going to be handed to him on a gold platter. You know, most guys get really freaked out when they are about to become a father and just panic. They go stupid, and all they really think about is the money, the stability, and their party life. He needs to grow up. Tell him to suck it up buttercup, because you are having this baby with or without him, and that's that.
    You should also call a local law firm and talk with them to see what they say about all of this. It will be good news for you I think:)

Best of luck:)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2005, 06:56 AM
    Pregnant
    Hi,
    Before you do anything else, go to a local group near you; such as your Magistrate, even the Sheriff's Office, or someone who can tell you the laws regarding this in your State; maybe a Social Services department.

You don't have to tell anyone any names, but just find out what the law is for your State; in regards to your boyfriend's responsibilities. For all you know so far, he might not be repsonsible for anything; it's up to your own State's laws covering this.

Best of luck,
    fredg
    Noviceplaintiff Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Apr 2, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by megan1234
    I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame needs to pass, during which he is willfully uninvolved, before he is considered to have abandoned his child? If he decides to be involved past this time frame, does he regain any legal rights? If his rights are considered terminated, is he liable for any child support? And if he starts to pay child support after he has terminated his rights through abandonment, does he then regain legal rights? Do I have a time frame in which to start proceedings regarding child support? Thank you.
    You have to have the child first before you file for child support. If it proven that he is the biological father after determining paternity, and he is ordered to pay child support, then your ex has the right to seek involvement in the child's life and the courts may provide him some legal access to the child. But you are asking a lot of questions, so what is your real quesiton? In theory, you don't have to put his name on the birth certificate.
    bryden1401 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2007, 07:17 AM
    I agree you need to find out the laws in the state . Also you should start keeping a record of all your bills you incur during the pregnancy. After the child is born is when child support usually kicks in they are not going to make him pay for a child not born with no real proof it's his. I say keep the bills cause when it's proven that the child is his then he may have to pay for half of the expenses. You cannot force him to be in the child's life but he can be made to pay for the child he helped create.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bryden1401
    I agree you need to find out the laws in the state . Also you should start keeping a record of all your bills you incur during the pregnancy. After the child is born is when child support usually kicks in they are not going to make him pay for a child not born with no real proof it's his. I say keep the bills cause when it's proven that the child is his then he may have to pay for half of the expenses. You cannot force him to be in the childs life but he can be made to pay for the child he helped create.
    First off welcome to the site bryden... :)

Please pay close attn to post dates... this question was asked over a year ago, when you answer such questions it "bumps" it up to the top... and pushes other recent posts down.
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Jan 26, 2008, 12:03 AM
    Comment on jennifer1205's post
    You can't milk him for all he is worth you can however receive child support. And not all men go crazy when they have a child. You are talking about the boys you mess with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Abandonment of a child [ 5 Answers ]

I have a sixteen year old niece that is being raised by her widowed mother. She has one more year in high school and is the captain of her dance team at school and does very well in school. Her mother grauated nursing school 3 years ago and just recently has been accepted to a physician assistants...

Bio-Father wants rights after abandonment [ 3 Answers ]

I had a daughter with this guy that never wanted her. He even said that she was not his. I told him to take the paternity test and he did'nt want to. So now 3 years later, he has another family and want's to take the paternity test, and wants visitation rights. I already went on with my life, met...

Child support [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My husband has been divorced for 19 years, his kids are 25,23 and 21. His divorce agreement (Massachusetts) states that he pays Child support until the youngest turns 18 or is emancipated and that the support shall continue for any child not having attained the age of 22, residing with...

Child Support [ 2 Answers ]

My divorce decree states that my ex-husband was to pay child support to my child school. He was not paying the tuition and I could no longer afford to pay it so I took my child out of private school. My ex-husband randomly pays support and nowhere near what the court order stipulated. Can I get...

View more questions Search