Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gwalker Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Promotions without pay rises
    Following a recent re-structure, my title was altered from Business Consultant to Project Manager however I received no letter advising me of the change, no pay rise and no letter advising me who my new manager was to be. I found the information via the online company phone-book. I was subsequently told that my new boss is temporary and they were looking externally to fill the role (the role has not been advertised on the Intranet).

My new boss has not met with me to review any of my tasks and only communicates via eamil as he is too busy. He also sent out an email stating that a few of us were inadvertently left off the org chart when the re-structure occurred.

Doe his obvious disregard for others consititue harrassement?
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

May 1, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Harassment? No I don't think so, for that would be more personal, and I believe you just happen to be in the middle of a restructuring. Are you the only one (or in a very small group) of people having to deal with these changes? I have yet to see a restructure that was 100% smooth without any confusion, problems, or mistakes. If you boss is deliberately trying to give you grief, that's one thing. But if he's busy as you said, that's just the fact of the matter and is not harassment.

Furthermore, you said promotion, yet you admit you don't know where you fall on the org chart. It might very easily have been a lateral move and not a promotion without pay.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 04:53 PM
    No. It constitutes a restructuring of an organization. You may be annoyed, but what you are describing is hardly harassment. Restructuring usually means job cuts and a lot of people out on the street. You are lucky. You still have a job.

They obviously are trying to work out the kinks. When a restructure happens there are a lot of decisions to made. It can take weeks, usually months. Stuff like this doesn't get resolved overnight. Your new boss knows that he is temporary in that spot. What are his responsibilties? Maybe too much has been thrown into his lap and he is spread too thin, trying to juggle it all until they find someone permanent to be your boss.

If you are unhappy and are uncomfortable with what is happening, dust off your resume and start looking for a new job. But, that is the only legal recourse you have at the moment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2007, 06:30 PM
    No it is not harassment, it may show a very poorly managed company, it may show a new boss that was also not told what he was over.

And it is common to "give titles" but even leave duties the same and to give the titles instead of rases.

Now if the only people they left out of the loop were all black, or if they were all some protected minority while every other person changed was not that minority, that may be a discrimination.

Now if they called you up and laughed at you about no raise that could be harassment

I guess I have to ask why you even thought it was, are you looking for something to try and sue your company for ? I guess when stupid things happen at my work, the last thing I think of is harassment or discrimination.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 1, 2007, 06:34 PM
    You've gotten good answers, but I too, have to wonder just why you even thought this might be harassment. I suspect something else is going on.

May 1, 2007, 09:48 PM
    The re-structure affects a large number of people (approx 150) however only a small number (approx 10) were left off org chart. For those of us that were left off the org chart, a small org chart was drawn up to show who we report but the original chart was not updated.

The feeling at the moment is one of uncertainty and fear. And management are unapproachable. My only recourse is avoidance and keeping low profile. Although I am a permanent in the organinsation, the management stye is management by fear and no questions get asked. The company is very big on negative feedback and criticism.

May 1, 2007, 10:14 PM
    Unless you have reason to believe you were intentionally left off the org chart, I still don't think it is harassment. And the style of management also does not necessarily constitute harassment. There are plenty of crappy places to work that are not harassing their employees. If it is not a good atmosphere for you, take RubyPitbull's advice and dust off your resume.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gwalker
    The re-structure affects a large number of people (approx 150) however only a small number (approx 10) were left off org chart. For those of us that were left off the org chart, a small org chart was drawn up to show who we report but the orginal chart was not updated.

The feeling at the moment is one of uncertainty and fear. And management are unapproachable. My only recourse is avoidance and keeping low profile. Although I am a permanent in the organinsation, the management stye is management by fear and no questions get asked. The company is very big on negative feedback and criticism.
    I used to work at a company like that years ago. No one should have to live in fear and uncertainty. I hated it. It frustrated me terribly. I chose to leave.

I don't know if avoidance and keeping a low profile will serve you well here. You may be right and there is some underlying reason why you and others were left off the chart. If you want to keep your job, you need to try to ignore this restructuring and leave no doubt in anyone's mind that you are doing your job. If you can manage to plow through, the result may be something that works to your benefit. If you just can't take it, you really do need to start looking around now. The last thing you want is to find yourself out of work. You are more marketable with a job.

May 2, 2007, 06:37 PM
    I dusted my resume and was offered another role which I accepted. The role is paying more money however my reason for leaving was the crappy management. I have always mananged for find new roles (I received 3 offers on the one day which is not unusual for me) but I suppose I was wanting to settle down and not move on. I get tired of packing my bags and moving onto the next company.

Perhaps in the IT industry, the word 'permanent' has lost its meaning. I have aqcuired a lot of skills over time which are in demand and I always get pay rises when I move on. Who knows ,maybe this be my final move and I will spend many happy years with the new company. Thank you all for your advice.

May 2, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gwalker

Perhaps in the IT industry, the word 'permanent' has lost its meaning.
    IT--why didn't you say so! You will ALWAYS be paid more at a new position than you will expect to get from raises. It's kind of funny how companies will pay to hire talented people, but don't pay to keep their current staff who have increased their skillsets.

I'm in IT as well, and with only one exception, my biggest raises have come from changing companies. Nature of the beast.

Congrats on the new position though.

May 2, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Yes, likewise my pay rises come from changing companies. Now that I know that I am not the only one to receive pay rises from changing companies I do not feel bad about my 'career' . I have 'broad' industry experience in IT which impresses many employers. I think it is sad that companies do not pay to keep current staff.

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 3, 2007, 05:28 AM
    That phenonmenon is not limited to IT. In many industries one can expect a bigger raise by chaging companies then staying within the same company. This is offset by some of the advantages of staying (benefit accruals, stability, security, etc.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doctor bill. Pay or not pay [ 5 Answers ]

I was working through workers comp claim. I was sent by my Dr to a Dr to treat me for depression. After I received a bill from the Psychologist telling me that my insurance was not paying for the bill and that it was my responsibility to pay her, I then stopped seeing her. Now I am being taken to...

Toilet rises and bubbles when another toilet is flushed during heavy rain [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet rises, bubbles and partially empties itself when another toilet is flushed. The water drains fine from the flushed toilet. House is ranch stlyle on a slab and connected to a public sewer system. The toilets are not back to back, but about 10 feet apart in two separate rooms We had heavy...

Who is it better to pay? [ 2 Answers ]

A attorney for a collection agency got me the validation of several medical bills. So who is it better to pay? The attorney, the collection agency or the original medical places? I would like to pay the original medical places, and send a letter to the attorney and collection agency saying that...

Pay [ 2 Answers ]

Can an employer change your wage every time he desides he wants to like take you off your pay and change it to piece work, and than change it to a forced sub contractor and say your making too much money so now you can no longer be a sub and put you back on hourly

View more questions Search