Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lenzius Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Can't afford court ordered mediation in Galveston Co. Texas
    I have been thus far representing myself in a no-fault divorce filed by my wife. She hired a discount attorney that has really put the case on the back burner. The court has ordered mediation unless we come to an agreement.

My problem: I am virtually penniless. The only real asset I have is an old truck given to me by my wife's brother a number of years ago. I am unemployed, and there is no way I will be able to afford mediation fees. She is trying to bleed me for all I am worth, threatening spousal Maintenance (alimony). She is on SS disability, and has a regular income, whereas I do not.

We really do not have anything to fight over. We have no kids, no assets, no savings, no retirement, no house... nothing but an old truck worth about $1000 which was a gift to me.

She is being ridiculous with some of the things she wants, and is going to end up forcing this into mediation. Is there a form I can file that will reduce or eliminate mediation fees? It seems like someone said that there was.

Help! Any other advice is also welcomed. :confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Check out legal aid society for your area you may be able to get free legal advice in your county.

Or maybe even better, tell you you changed your mind, tell her you want to try and make your marriage work, and want counseling and will be moving back in with her esp now that you are not working.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother doesn't allow court ordered visitation [ 29 Answers ]

I'm engaged to a man that has a 6 year old daughter. Because of the mother, he didn't see his daughter from the time she was almost 2 until she was over 4 years old. He finally got to speak with his daughter when she was almost 5 years old (by this time she didn't know he existed) because the...

Mediation how to [ 2 Answers ]

I could use any info about mediation that anyone might know.

F1 in Oklahoma-OPT in Texas-H1B in Texas [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all!!!:) First at all, this is a great forum! I've been reading a lot of posts, and they are very very useful. Now I got a question for the tax experts and non-experts too:p!! This is my case: I was studying and working as a Teacher Assistant in Oklahoma from 08.26.02 to 03.06.05....

View more questions Search