Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lapez1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Can I get out of my contract for new home purchase?
    We signed a contract with a builder for a new home with no contigencies. Then, 2 weeks later, our house we were selling didn't close. Now we're stuck with a contract to purchase, which the close date has past, no money to put down, and if we do even find a way to close, TWO mortgages.
    How can we get out of this contract legally?
    Lisa
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 1, 2007, 04:18 PM
    You can always get out of a contract. The question is how much it is going to cost you.

Here are your options:

1. Put your house back up for sale. Sell it and use the money to buy the new house.

2. Cancel the contract and stay in your current home.

Going with either of these options will require that you speak to the builder and the builder's response will dictate which option you choose. The builder can either say they'll wait for you to sell your house (and maybe you'll be responsible for his carrying costs--taxes, insurance, interest payments--while he waits for you) or they'll let you out of the contract. But you can't decide what to do until you've spoken to the builder.

If the builder starts making threatening noises then it will be time for you to speak to an attorney. But don't jump to any conclusions yet. Speak to the builder first.

Good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Yep, I see this on TV every day, on those "sell this house" or other shows, where someone makes a offer or buys another house without selling their other house first. Basically you are stuck, If you can't close on the one home, you will have to default and you will owe something, according to the terms of the contract.

So time to talk to the builder and see what your options are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closing cost on home purchase [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my name is skol supunpong and am about to purchase a home in Austin, Tx. The price of the house is $329,000 and I am going to pay by cash. My concern is about the closing cost. My question is that when I purchase the house with cash, do I have to pay this cost or not at all? I would...

Purchase of repossessed mobile home [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a mobile home that had been repossessed by a bank and removed from a lot in a mobile home park and placed in a storage yard. When I went to have the mobile home relocated to a new park I was denied possession until I paid $3,000.00 to the storage yard. This represented fees that were...

Home Purchase [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to purchase a home. The selling price for the want I want is $215,000. It is beyond my budget. I was told that the sellers can't drop their price because they will loose money. I want my mortgage to be within my means... Is there anything I can do to change their minds? When they...

Looking to purchase my first home [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I am in my late 20's and am looking to purchase my first home within the next few months. I have been on my job for 3 years, and I make a decent salary for my age. I ran my credit the other day and it looks as though I owe about $800 on my credit. I recently purchased an 06 Chevy, interest...

View more questions Search