Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harlan_husker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Honeywell rth230b - 4 wire two red and two white
    I replaced my old mercury thermostat last fall with a honeywell rth230b digital model and furnace worked fine all winter, now that I am trying to use my air conditioner its like the thermostat does not recognize cool. I have 4 wires two red and two white, one of the Red wires I have plugged into RH and a jumber between RH and RC, then a white in W and a white in Y and the other red in G. I can turn the fan on but the cannot get the actual air conditioner to turn on. Do I need to move the red from G to RC and discard the jumper?

Thanks much.
    heatandairguy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by harlan_husker
    I replaced my old mercury thermostat last fall with a honeywell rth230b digital model and furnace worked fine all winter, now that I am trying to use my air conditioner its like the thermostat does not recognize cool. I have 4 wires two red and two white, one of the Red wires I have plugged into RH and a jumber between RH and RC, then a white in W and a white in Y and the other red in G. I can turn the fan on but the cannot get the actual air conditioner to turn on. Do I need to move the red from G to RC and discard the jumper?

Thanks much.
    Since the wires came off a mercury stat I assume the new digital works off batteries, meaning there is no 24v common wire . You should be able to switch the wires to check their positions. You still need the jumper. If that doesn't work then you have something wrong with the outdoor unit. Let me know.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 1, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Thermostat wire Furnace
    RH-RC-----red-----R
    W---------white---W
    G---------red-----G
    Y---------white---Y You also need a pair wires running from Y and com at the furnace out to the coil of the compressor relay. Make sure the breaker is on and the outside disconnect is and no blown fuses.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 1, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Maybe Red is common, Green is for fan, Yellow for cool, and white for heat.
    When you set thermostat to cool, the Red connects to Green for the Fan to Run, the Red also connects to Yellow to go outside to the compressor contactor. With 2 reds and 2 whites you you will have to identify, unless you identified when you removed old unit.
    Many Central Air Air Handlers(inside unit)has a 240 volt to 24 volt transformer for control.
    With Thermostat set to cool, you should have 24 volts at Contactor Coil.
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

May 1, 2007, 05:00 PM
    If it's possible, you may want to consider changing your thermostat wires to one five conductor cable. It's much easier to make the connections when you have five different colors. The connections labman mentioned should work, you just need to make sure you match the correct whites & reds at both ends.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 07:00 PM
    Take the cover off the thermostat and expose the four wires and remove them from the screw terminals on the thermostat.
    Start with one of the red wires, touch it to the other red wire. If that make the blower run that will mean that one of the red wires is your hot wire. Now pick one of the red wires and touch the white wire, if the fire comes on you now know that the red wire you used is the hot wire, so connect it to the RH terminal (leave the jumper). Also since the fire came on using the white wire that means it controls the gas valve so connect it to the W terminal. Now you have already used the other red wire when you touched it to the red hot wire and the blower came on so that means that the red wire is the blower control so connect it to the G terminal. That leaves the odd white wire which has to be the AC so connect it to the Y terminal. If everything is OK out at the AC unit and at the furnace the AC should run. If you have a problem let people here know.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 2, 2007, 05:59 AM
    Having read your post, I thought it was obvious the heat was working. I hope you had the good sense to ignore the instructions to mess with the pair of wires connected to RH and W at the thermostat. It is just a matter of connecting the other 2 in place of the yellow and green wires.
    heatandairguy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 04:06 PM
    You have two sets of 18-2 thermostat cables, each with a white and red wire. You need to trace the wires back to the indoor unit and figure out which goes to which terminal. R is for 24V hot to the thermostat. W is your heat circuit. G is for the blower. Y operates your air conditioning contactor at the outside unit. If you want you can jumper each of the three other wires to the R terminal on your thermostat momentarily to see which does what. If the air-conditioning compressor comes on, then you've got your Y wire. If the blower comes on, you've got your G wire. You won't hurt anything. Just don't cycle the air conditioner more than once.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Having read your post, I thought it was obvious the heat was working. I hope you had the good sense to ignore the instructions to mess with the pair of wires connected to RH and W at the thermostat. It is just a matter of connecting the other 2 in place of the yellow and green wires.
    I based my post on the fact that I was not sure if he knew which of the two wires, he was using for the heat, was the hot wire. Therefore I told him to check them all to determine which was the hot wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Janitrol 7 wire to Honeywell RTH230B 5 wire [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have a Janitrol digital thermostat. I can't read the model #. It has 8 terminals and 7 wires hooked up. Terminal - Color Y - Yellow Com - Blue R - Red G - Green w2 - Looks white E/w3 - Looks pink O - Orange B - Nothing

Switching from Trane (6-wire) to Honeywell (5-wire) [ 6 Answers ]

I am wanting to change from a Trane tstat (model TAYSTAT241) with six wires: Green to G1, Red to R, Blue to B, White to W1, Brown to W2, and yellow to Y1 to a Honeywell Programmable (RTH230B) with five connections: Rh to Rc (jumped), W, Y, G. I have a Trane XV90 (model # TXC031C4HPCO-1999). My...

I have black red White wire in the ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I have black red and white wires in the ceiling and blue black white and green on the fan which do I hook up to which?

2 Wire White-Rogers with no wallplate wire question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I want to replace my current White-Rogers 1E56W309 thermostat with a new Honeywell RTH7500D. The problem is that the tools that installed my high efficiency furnace didn't install the wall plate with my thermostat (it was a new house and the builder contracted these guys). Instead,...

Installing Honeywell RTH230B, what to do with blue (B) Wire [ 0 Answers ]

I am trying to install of Honeywell RTH230B thermostat. I removed the old Lux mercury thermostat and their were five wires Rh, W, Y, G, and B (blue). The thermostat has place for all of the wires except the B(blue) wire. Do I need a different thermostat or can the B wire be put in the Rc space...

View more questions Search