Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spadman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2005, 04:30 PM
    Social security tax
    Hi,

I started working last August during the OPT period after graduation. My H-1 was approved and stated to begin on Nov16th 2004. But my company here has been deducting social security tax right from the start date of employment.

I am under the impression that the when you are in OPT and working, you don't need to pay social security taxes. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If correct, how can I claim back the money that has been deducted?

I would really appreciate some help on this.

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2005, 09:01 PM
    Spadman:

As your company to refund your Social Security and Medicare taxes.

If they refuse, get it in writing, then submit Form 843 to the IRS and request that they refund your Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Procedures to do this can be found in page 45, Chapter 8, IRS Pub 519.
    patel21978 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spadman
    Hi,

I started working last August during the OPT period after graduation. My H-1 was approved and stated to begin on Nov16th 2004. But my company here has been deducting social security tax right from the start date of employment.

I am under the impression that the when you are in OPT and working, you dont need to pay social security taxes. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If correct, how can I claim back the money that has been deducted?

I would really appreciate some help on this.

Thanks!
    I'm in student visa, I came on 19th January 2008 I have visa for 5 years, its f1 visa, I want to know if I want to do business can I do it or not? Can I buy some properties or not? Can I get green card through business or not?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 03:53 AM
    You cannot do business on F1 visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-h1 social security and medicare [ 6 Answers ]

I am an indian citizen employed in the usa. My status for 2005 was : Jan-Oct : F1/OPT Oct-Dec : H1 My employer deducted social security and medicare taxes from oct-dec when I was on h1. While filing taxes, my tax consultant told me that since social security and medicare are charged per...

Regarding Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Call me new. Because I'm far from Social Security, however my father isn't. He just received his first check from the Social Security Office. He asked me if he is able to continue to work, or must he be unemployed to receive Social Security. Question: Can you have both a working income and...

Social Security and Medicare [ 7 Answers ]

Reply to My question The withholding of Social Security and Medicare taxes from the employee is the sole responsibility of the employer. If he fails to do it, the employer becomes responsible to pay both the employer's and the employee's share of the Social Security and Medicare taxes. The...

Social Security and medicare tax [ 6 Answers ]

Dear Experts, My company agreed to pay me 55% of revenue the project when I given my project to them. The company deducting royalty fees, social security tax and medicare tax of employer contribution taken from 55% from the revenue. My offerletter doesn't say about this. I am holding h1 visa...

Reclaim Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I changed my visa status from F1 to H1-B as of September 29, 2005. Do I need to pay Social security and Medicare taxes for the month of September. I had a talk with my employer as regards this and they claimed that they had deducted above taxes from my salary since I was on H1-b visa for...

View more questions Search